Toronto Builder - Winter 2017 - 21
IN REAL ESTATE
AND CONSTRUCTION -
BY DANNY TIMMINS,
MNP NATIONAL CYBER SECURITY LEADER
cyber breach can impact a business's financial assets
and its reputation. It also has the potential for disrup-
* Hacking a system that hasn't been patched is an easy way for
hackers to get vital data.
tion in business continuity, loss of customers, loss of
Every company needs a comprehensive enterprise risk manage-
profits and market share, and possible liability claims.
ment approach to security that focuses on protecting vital oper-
For real estate and construction companies a breach of a
ations, assets, infrastructure and people. Consider the following
property's security or life safety systems could have catastrophic
questions to build a more cyber-resilient enterprise:
effects - even potential harm to human life.
* How confident is your management team about your company's
Preying on known vulnerabilities, attackers can compromise
an organization within minutes. As organizations in this sector increasingly integrate smart technologies and devices into
building systems - power, life safety, HVAC, lighting, thermostats,
telephone, internet, elevators - there are more opportunities
for hackers and attackers to breach these systems and to cause
The size of an enterprise does not matter. Real estate and construction companies of all sizes are seeing more cyber attacks for
overall cyber security preparedness?
* Have you identified key risks and vulnerabilities and implemented strategies to address these?
* Have you scrutinized the security posture of key supply
* Does an objective third party regularly test your organization's
systems for vulnerabilities to cyber attack?
* Do you have a cyber security incident response plan in place
in the event of a cyber breach?
one simple reason: inadequate defences. Attackers use a wide
Protecting your company from cyber catastrophe first
variety of approaches to disrupt or gain access to systems and
requires acknowledging that a cyber breach can happen to your
networks and their tactics constantly evolve. Here are a few:
organization. Then it requires building a strong dynamic secur-
* Phishing emails with malware like ransomware and spyware are
ity strategy. Cyber crime continually evolves - so should your
common ways to get personal information or hold data hostage.
* Pharming places malicious code on computers or servers, redirecting people to fake web sites.
Danny Timmins, CISSP, is the National Cyber Security Leader for MNP,
* Distributed denial of service (DDoS) disrupts systems and net-
one of Canada's largest accounting, tax and business consulting
works by denying service and in many cases asks for a fee.
firms. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 647-202-6243.
www.bildgta.ca * 21