Government Connections - Spring 2014 - (Page 27)
A Wrap-Up of News from SGMP
The past quarter has seen many important actions and announcements by the National Board, Gilmer trustees and headquarters staff:
* SGMP members nationwide voted to enact several
important bylaws changes, including a key revision to our
* SGMP members of all chapters and in every membership
category participated in the 2013 All-Member Survey regarding
Society benefits, industry conditions and a transformation
* The Gilmer Institute of Learning completed its first electronic
auction, with more than $4,000 in proceeds being distributed
among participating chapters.
* The National Board of Directors approved the Independent
Auditor's Report from Tate & Tryon for the 2013 fiscal year in
which the firm provided SGMP with an unmodified opinion -
the best possible result of an audit.
* Janet Roach, CGMP, was appointed to join the National Board
of Directors as a director, while James Lynton, CGMP, and
Brett Sterenson accepted appointments to serve as second
vice president and treasurer, respectively.
* The National Board of Directors accepted the recommendation
of the chapter board of the Springfield-based Heart of Illinois
chapter to dissolve, effective December 31, 2013, due to
declining membership participation.
* SGMP announced an agreement with KRM Information
Services, Inc., who became our official webinar/
* SGMP announced an agreement with Eight One Fifty
Consulting, LLC, who became our public relations and
* SGMP attended a hearing by the Senate Committee
on Homeland Security and Government Affairs entitled
"Examining Conference and Travel Spending Across the
Federal Government" after co-signing an industry coalition
letter that was formally submitted to that committee.
* The Newsletter of the Year (NOY) award and the Website of the
Year (WOY) award were combined to form the Communications
of the Year (COY) award, to be presented at the 2014 NEC &
Expo in May.
* SGMP staff member Garland Preddy, CGMP, was appointed
by the National Board of Directors to serve as the Operations
Chair for the Gilmer Institute of Learning.
* The Gilmer Institute of Learning awarded the Rance R. Willis
Planner Development Scholarship to 22 members nationwide
for registration, lodging and travel for the 2014 SGMP NEC &
Expo on May 6-8 in Portland, Oregon.
The $1.6 billion upside to meeting
who make this
in A new 'side of cl assic california
Plan your first time,
or best time, today!
To learn more visit
Call 888-748-7733 or email
Riverside, Southern California is rejuvenating like
never before. With a $1.6 billion transformation,
it's even more walkable, including Main Street
Riverside and a new 65,000-sq-ft Riverside
Convention Center in 2014.
www.sgmp.org 27 AM
Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of Government Connections - Spring 2014
Protocol and Government Meetings
Know Your Bell Curve
A Leadership Lesson from Toilet Paper
Education Day Highlights New Focus on Outreach and Advocacy
Meet a Member
Government Connections - Spring 2014