Streamline - Fall 2013 - (Page 11)

BY KENNY REYNOLDS, VRWA WATER CIRCUIT RIDER I If you are aware of these acronyms, you probably have a good understanding of the reporting requirements for accidental hazardous chemical releases to the environment. Acronyms – Today’s Language AS PROFESSIONALS, WE often come in contact with many acronyms in the water/wastewater treat- ment field. Most of us are familiar with acronyms such as DBPR (Disinfection By-Product Rule), PMCL (Primary Maximum Contaminant Level), TTHM (Total Trihalomethanes), or LT2ESWTR (Long Term 2 Enhanced Surface Water Treatment Rule), just to name a few. I thought I would devote this article to others that may not be as familiar such as LEPC, SERC, NRC, CERCLA, EPCRA, CWA and SARA. If you are aware of these acronyms, you probably have a good understanding of the reporting requirements for accidental hazardous chemical releases to the environment. The liabilities that exist for not reporting required hazardous chemical releases involve severe civil and criminal penalties. Several federal environmental laws require that “releases of hazardous substances to the environment” above certain threshold amounts require Reportable Quantity (or RQ) be reported. As an example, a 10 pound release of chlorine gas to the environment would be a reportable quantity. A “release” happens when a reportable quantity of a hazardous chemical comes in contact with the environment by spilling, leaking, pumping, pouring, emitting, emptying, discharging, injecting, escaping, leaching, dumping or disposing. The abandonment or discarding of barrels, containers and other closed receptacles of hazardous substances is also considered a release to the environment. These requirements are found in the CERCLA (Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act), EPCRA (Emergency Planning and Community Right-To-Know Act), CWA (Clean Water Act), or Title III of the SARA (Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act). The RQ or reportable quantity, even for the same substance, is not necessarily the same value under each listing. When there is a release of a hazardous substance to the environment that is equal to or exceeds the reportable quantity, facilities must immediately notify the NRC (National Response Center) in Washington, D.C. Releases can be reported to NRC by calling 1-800-424-8802 or 1-202-267-2675, or by reporting online at the NRC website. The National Response Center has deployed an Online Reporting Tool. This tool provides users of the internet the ability to easily submit incident reports to the NRC. The National Response Center is the “sole” federal point of contact for reporting oil and chemical spills. The NRC operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and 365 days a year. Facilities must also immediately notify their Community Emergency Coordinator of their district LEPC (Local Emergency Planning Committee) and the SERC (State Emergency Response Commission). The Governor of each state designated a State Emergency Response Commission (SERC). The SERC designated local emergency planning districts and appointed Local Emergency Planning Committees (LEPC) for each district. To locate contact information for the SERC for your state and your district LEPC, visit the Emergency Management/U.S. EPA website at www.epa. gov/oem. Locate the heading Quick Finder on the home page, and under this section locate 11

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of Streamline - Fall 2013

From the President
From the Executive Director
Acronyms – Today’s Language
Drought or Flood?
Can Changing Your Plant Lighting Save You Money?
Source Water Protection Notes
Aging and Failing Infrastructure
Time for Some R&R
EXPO Coverage and Recap
Ergs, Joules and Other Stuff
Wastewater Math
Throwing My Loop
eLearning Benefi ts
Membership Application
Do You Know What Your VRWA Benefi ts Are
Welcome New Members
VRWA Mailbag
Board of Directors
VRWA Committees
Index to Advertisers/

Streamline - Fall 2013