American Cinematographer - September 2010 - 82
The ASC celebrates the grand re-opening of its historic Clubhouse.
By Jon D. Witmer •|•
Where Cinematography Lives
n June 3, ASC members joined colleagues from many sectors of the film industry and members of the Hollywood community at 1782 North Orange Dr., Hollywood, to celebrate the completion of an epic undertaking: the renovation and expansion of the Society’s historic Clubhouse. Before cutting the ribbon, ASC President Michael Goi; building committee chair Owen Roizman, ASC; Hollywood Chamber of Commerce President/CEO Leron Gubler; and Los Angeles City Councilman Tom LaBonge all offered remarks, and afterward, guests were ushered inside for a tour of the facility.
The ASC purchased the Clubhouse in 1936 from silent-film star Conway Tearle, who had lived in the Spanishstyle bungalow since the 1920s. Prior to that, the Society, founded in 1919, housed American Cinematographer and administrative staff on the 12th floor of the Hollywood Guaranty Building. Tearle’s house, one of the first structures built on Orange Drive, and conveniently located just a block north of Grauman’s Chinese Theater, offered ASC members a place to relax after a day’s work, as well as a venue for large social gatherings and educational functions. On Feb. 28, 1937, following minor renovations that transformed the private resi-