American Cinematographer - September 2010 - 83
Opposite: The venerable ASC Clubhouse as it appeared circa 1950. This page: Hollywood has grown up around the building at 1782 North Orange Dr.; here is how the neighborhood appeared in 1905 (top), 1957 (bottom left) and 1980 (bottom right).
Renovation and ribbon-cutting photos by Isidore Mankofsky, ASC; Chris Mankofsky; and Matt Turve.
dence into a place suitable for business, ASC President John Arnold welcomed his fellow Society members to their new home. Over the decades, the Clubhouse continued to evolve, notably with the addition of a second building, for AC staff, at the rear of the property. (This allowed the editors to move out of the Clubhouse’s small cupola.) About 10 years ago, the Society began planning a
significant renovation, a concentrated push that would bring the Clubhouse into the 21st century and enhance its capabilities for hosting educational and professional events. The plans moved forward in 2006, when staff moved out of the Clubhouse and into offices generously provided by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. In May 2008, the ASC broke ground on the construction project, which has
added 1,500 square feet to the main building while preserving the character and spirit of the original structure. In addition to an overall facelift, the old boardroom has become a larger seminar room, complete with a projection screen and digital projector; the library has been expanded to serve as the new boardroom; a new Members’ Room has been added; and the bar/lounge has been expanded and christened “Billy’s
September 2010 83