American Cinematographer - September 2010 - 84
Where Cinematography Lives
Clockwise from above: The Clubhouse’s foyer as it appeared in 1937; the foyer following the recent renovation; the Clubhouse’s great room in 1937; the renovated great room; the great room in 1968.
Bar,” in honor of the late William A. Fraker, ASC, BSC. The exterior grounds, including the lawn, drive and parking lot, have also been redone. The building behind the Clubhouse has been renovated and now houses AC’s circulation department and some of the Society’s administrative staff. (The magazine’s editorial, art and advertising staff can still be found at the Academy’s Hollywood property.) “We channeled our hopes and
84 September 2010 American Cinematographer
dreams and, sometimes, fantasies into what the Clubhouse could be,” Goi told the crowd in early June. Roizman added, “There’s a tremendous amount of history in these walls, and we never wanted to lose sight of that.” Both praised the hard work and dedication of everyone involved in the renovation, especially ASC honorary member D. Brian Spruill and fundraising chair George Spiro Dibie, ASC. As a result of everyone’s efforts, the Clubhouse is