Exploration & Processing - Fall 2010 - (Page 104)

GPR INDUSTRIES (1994) LTD. BY RUSS GAGER HIGH-QUALITY COPPER WINDINGS AND CALIBRATED OVENS KEEP GPR INDUSTRIES’ CUSTOMERS COMING BACK TO MAINTAIN THEIR ELECTRIC MOTORS. WINDING UP SUCCESS E Shaun Nelson, a journeyman electric motor systems technician at GPR Industries, hooks up the wires on an automatic winding machine. The company serves a variety of industries, including oil and gas, forestry, agriculture, mining, construction and utilities. COMPANY PROFILE GPR Industries (1994) Ltd. www.gprindustries.com Projected 2010 revenues: $8.5 M HQ: Grande Prairie, Alberta Employees: 40 Service: Electric motor rewind Eddie Sandboe, president and CEO: “The familiarity that we lectric motor technology is well-established, but improvements have been made in efficiency. The variable frequency drive (VFD), which electronically controls motor characteristics, has contributed to this efficiency. “You can run the pump or fan at its optimum level of efficiency,” says Eddie Sandboe, president and CEO of GPR Industries (1994) Ltd. Vibration analysis and laser alignment also have contributed to the increase in efficiency. “When you do a good alignment, then the electric motor and the driven pump or a compressor or whatever also benefit, because both pieces run much more smoothly, which extends bearing life,” Sandboe asserts. “Plus, the vibration diagnosis that we do on running equipment really helps to troubleshoot and guide the maintenance, which improves machinery life.” Approximately 70 percent of GPR Industries’ business is servicing electric motors and generators. The other 30 percent is sales of them. When the company was founded in 1965 by Rudi Schmidt as GP Rewind, it only offered service. “It’s grown from there to encompass sales,” Sandboe explains. “What happens is the customer sends the motor in and realizes he should have a spare for it; or in the small horsepowers, he may just need a replacement for it. So, it was a natural progression to be able to sell him a new one.” Many customers in exploration and mining have backup motors in-line or readily available spares because they must operate 24/7. “We specialize in all the horsepower ranges when it comes to new motor sales,” Sandboe points out. GPR’s goal is to be a one-stop electric motor shop. “We understand electric motors, so when the customer needs a replacement, we can also give him the best advice on what motor he needs and be able to support that motor in the way of manufacturers’ warranty,” Sandboe says. “If he has a problem with it, we service what we sell.” More Power The industries GPR serves include oil and gas, mining, construction, forestry, agriculture and utilities. “We do a lot of work for the petroleum industry,” Sandboe reports. “In the last five years, petroleum has been 40 to 45 percent of our business, forestry 25 percent and FALL 2010 service and sales have with the electric motor really aids us.” 104 | EXPLORATION-PROCESSING.COM http://www.EXPLORATION-PROCESSING.COM

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of Exploration & Processing - Fall 2010

Exploration & Processing - Fall 2010
Spillover Effects
Profitable Path to Renewable Energy
Dynamic Air Shelters Ltd.
Elevating Boats LLC
Gazelle’s Oilfield Services Ltd.
International Alliance Group
Lydford Mining Co.
Offshore Inland Marine, Industrial & Oilfield Services
Q.B. Johnson Manufacturing Inc.
Thermo Design Engineering
Western Camp Services Ltd.
Western Copper Corp.
Alberta Welltest Incinerators
Blakely Construction Co. Inc.
Bluewater Constructors Inc.
Energy Fabrication Inc.
OFM Pump Inc.
Lithium Americas Corp.
New Dominion Construction Inc.
Otis Gold
Owen Sound Ledgerock Ltd.
Reagan Equipment Co. Inc.
Swick Mining Services (Canada) Inc.
American Oil & Gas – The Goliath Project
Africo Resources Ltd.
American Tank Company Inc.
Atlas Copco Geotechnical Drilling & Exploration
Clarkco Oilfield Services Inc.
Energy Fuels Resources Corp.
ESA Renewables LLC
GPR Industries (1994) Ltd.
Helio Resource Corp.
Landdrill International Inc.
Laurel Aggregates Inc.
LoneStar Energy Fabrication
NioGold Mining Corp.
Pacific Booker Minerals Inc.
Phoenix Exploration Co.
Premium Rock Bit Corp.
Queenston Mining Inc.
RAE Engineering & Inspection Ltd.
Goldcorp – Red Lake Gold Mines
C-FER Technologies Inc.
Surepoint Group
Eden Stone and Valders Stone & Marble Inc.
Last page

Exploration & Processing - Fall 2010