Manufacturing Today - May/June 2017 - 147
utah recognizes many companies that demonstrate cutting-edge
innovation in the development of products and services
Eight innovations were announced as winners in the 15th annual
Utah Innovation Awards, presented by Stoel Rives LLP and the Utah
Technology Council. This statewide program recognizes product, operational and technological innovations, as well as the Utah companies that
The 2017 Utah Innovation Award winners are as follows:
* Computationally Intelligent Discovery Engine by Recursion Pharmaceuticals - Recursion has combined automated biology and artificial intelligence to create a computationally intelligent drug discovery platform that is capable
of finding new drugs and new ways to use old drugs, while
working on many diseases in parallel.
* Kiband by Kilife Tech Inc. - Kiband has two patents pending and one provisional application for mobile proximity,
mesh networking and child safety. Kiband begins with BLE,
then adds accelerometer data, machine learning and multipath fading technology to improve the resolution of radio
proximity measurements by 12 times.
* Lucidchart by Lucid Software Inc. - Lucidchart is a leading
diagramming and flowchart application. This cloud-based
solution is redefining the way people drive innovation
through visual thinking and real-time collaboration. Lucidchart has more than 10 million users in 175 countries.
* ProSlab 155 Automated Turf Harvester by FireFly Automatix
Inc. - The ProSlab 155 automated turf harvester leverages sophisticated controls to enable a hybrid of electric and
hydraulic systems. It robotically cuts and stacks turf grass
with improved quality and less fuel. With GPS guidance and
connectivity, it is on the cutting edge of agriculture.
* SNO-GO by SNO-GO - SNO-GO merges skiing with
downhill mountain biking. The familiar motions of mountain-bike riding are paired with snow skis designed for all
types of snow conditions, creating an experience for riders
of any skill level.
* Taxzilla - Taxzilla starts by gathering some basic information about clients and how they earn their living. From
there, Taxzilla matches them with local CPAs who specialize in their line of work. The CPA and Tax Team help clients
create goals and plans to make sure they can keep as much
money as possible in their pockets. Taxzilla provides tools
like receipt keeping and training to help clients track goals.
* Vutiliti Pulse by Vutiliti - Vutiliti gathers and provides real-time information on utility usage (electric, gas, water, renewables) so that consumers, businesses and governments
can monitor and budget utility usage. Vutiliti's mobile and
web programs guide consumers to actual consumption reduction, saving them money while reducing usage of water,
gas and electricity generation.
* Xenocoscope by Xenocor - Each year, more than 7 million
patients throughout the world undergo laparoscopic procedures, more than 2 million women undergo diagnostic
hysteroscopies and more than a million patients undergo
video-assisted thoracoscopic procedures in the United
A committee of approximately 80 professionals from private
industry, government and higher education evaluated and
voted on program finalists and winners. The more than 100+
nominations were put through a rigorous evaluation process
during which committee members evaluated each innovation
against a wide range of criteria addressing elements such as
novelty, market need, market disruption and potential/current
economic impact. mt
MAY/JUNE 2017 manufacturing-today.com