The Roanoker - November/December 2015 - 78
LET'S PLAY 'I SPY'
One of my favorite things about downtown has to do
with noticing. Almost every time I'm there, I notice
something new. Below I have listed 15 fun things I've
found. Can you tell me where I've spied them?
1. A horse once ridden, but now on display
2. "Coca-Cola" broken by a window
4. Lion head gargoyles
6. Art deco-like designs on a wall's facade
10. "Agnew Seed Stores"
11. A perfectly symmetrical building (that happens to be
a Virginia Historic Landmark)
12. "The King of Wheat Foods"
13. Small white stars seen only when you look low
14. Braziers hanging from the chandelier
15. Tree dissolving into blocks
Need answers? TheRoanoker.com/Spy
of a story. From the hands
of citizens with vision, the
threads weave into a beautiful tale unique to the region and its residents.
As I've measured the
mayor's words against my own experiences, I see that not all downtowns tell their stories well. The
only way I can think to explain
how this happens is through the
eyes of the discerning little Goldilocks, whose impeccable tastes
From opening pages: Tink's Place
brings whimsy and more. Elmwood
Park's amphitheater brings music
and events. Appalachia Press brings
more whimsy plus great notecards.
Upper: Villages of Africa has a
Lower: Ladles and Linens has it all
for the kitchen.
78 | NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2015