The Roanoker - May/June 2016 - 13
1501 Patterson Avenue. In 1891 Augustus Pope, a Norfolk & Western Railroad agent, built this
imposing 6,200-square-foot stone residence at 1501 Patterson. An apartment building today, the
house features coursed ashlar walls with rough-hewn stone lintels and belt courses, a three-story
octagonal tower with a polygonal roof, stained-glass window transoms and a wraparound porch.
As the story goes, Pope bought and shipped the stone and had a heating system installed, all at his
employer's expense, acts that eventually cost him his job. The Woman's Club of Roanoke bought the
home in 1928 and sold it in 1944.
Your Electronics Specialist
Vacant homesite. Steps to empty lots are painful reminders of the grand Patterson Avenue
mansions lost to neglect and deterioration.
street grid that is still used today. Having
a penchant for putting his name on things
(Rorer Hall, Rorer Park Hotel), he used family names for several of the streets in his new
development (Ferdinand, Chapman, Rorer,
Thanks to our loyal patrons,
we've been voted
"best of" 9 years running.
MAY/JUNE 2016 | 13