Miller Edge eCatalog - 96
P.O. Box 159
West Grove, PA 19390
Recommended Testing Procedures for
Power Operated Overhead Doors
Equipped with Safety Edges
Miller Edge, Inc. recommends the following test procedures for the reversing feature on overhead
doors equipped with an electrically operated opening device. Test doors two (2) times per month.
1. Two (2) people should be present during testing procedure. One person to operate controls and
one person to perform test.
2. NEVER OPERATE CONTROLS UNLESS YOU HAVE A FULL, UNOBSTRUCTED
VIEW OF THE ENTIRE DOOR OPENING. "Control Operator should start the door in a
3. The "Tester" should stand in front of the door opening, a full view of the Control Operator, and
extend his arm into the path of travel of the door. NEVER STAND DIRECTLY UNDER A
4. Tester should "catch" the moving door in his hand and door should stop and reverse direction
5. With door in fully open, stop position; Tester should place a 2" high wood block on the floor under
the door and step back.
6. Control Operator should start the door in a downward motion.
7. When door strikes the 2" wood block, Tester should begin counting. By the count of 3, door
should stop and reverse motion.
8. Door should not remain in contact with the 2" wood block for more than 3 seconds.
If the door does not pass this test, notify your supervisor immediately! Power supply should be
disconnected and door should be operated manually until the problem is corrected by an overhead
For additional information, contact Miller Edge, Inc. at 1-800-220-3343.
East Coast: Miller Edge, Inc. * P. O. Box 159 * West Grove, PA 19390 * 1-800-220-EDGE * (610)869-4422 * Fax: (610)869-4423
West Coast: Miller Edge, Inc. * 6809 South Harl Avenue * Suite A * Tempe, AZ 85283 * 1-800-887-EDGE * (480)755-3565 * Fax: (480)755-3558