American Rifleman - August 2017 - 8
BY M c M I L L A N
AVAILABLE SUMMER 2017 FOR YOUR
REMINGTON 700 SERIES.
FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION ON THE MC3 LAUNCH:
STOCK FINISH SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
THE KEEFE REPORT
ell, it's official. At least for
Glock, the MHS-the big
Modular Handgun System trial
to determine the next 9 mm service
pistol of the U.S. military-is over.
A variant of SIG Sauer's P320 pistol
was awarded the XM17 contract on
Jan. 19, 2017, and Glock filed a protest with the Government Accounting
Office (GAO) in late February. As part
of the U.S. government procurement
system, such protests are very common. Now that the protest, which the
GAO had until June 5 either to accept
or reject, has been denied, at least
the bare bones of what Glock was
protesting have been announced.
"On June 5, 2017, the U.S.
Government Accountability Office
(GAO) denied a protest filed by Glock,
Inc. ... The protester challenged the
Army's interpretation of the solicitation regarding the minimum number of contract awards required by
the RFP. The protester also alleged
that the Army improperly evaluated
its proposal. The maximum contract value, including all options, is
approximately $170 million.
"GAO denied the challenge to the
interpretation of the solicitation,
finding that the RFP allowed the Army
to make only one award, although
up to three awards were permitted by
the RFP's terms. GAO also denied the
challenge to the Army's evaluation of
Glock's proposal on the basis that any
errors did not prejudice Glock in the
While surely disappointed, it's not
as if Glock is on the brink of insolvency. It was worth a try. This protest
was as natural as dirt and as expected
as dawn. Glock, of course, still has an
open contract with SOCOM, and landed
a big, fat FBI contract last year. A few
days after the GAO announcement,
Glock was awarded a large contract
for G17 Gen4 pistols by the Philippine
National Police. Then Glock won the
Ontario, Canada, Provincial Police bid.
"By not completing the testing on
both proposals on a competitive basis,
the Army never determined which pistol would better meet the warfighter's
needs," said Glock Vice President Josh
Dorsey in a June 7 press release. "We
are confident had the Army completed
the testing, the GLOCK 19 would have
outperformed the [SIG Sauer] P320, as
it had in recent testing conducted by a
leading federal law enforcement agency
which resulted in GLOCK, Inc. being
awarded that contract. GLOCK pistols
have been battle proven by select units
of the U.S. military forces for the past
ten years. GLOCK, Inc. stands with the
men and women serving in the Armed
Forces and will continue to give them
its full support."
Dorsey added, "We thank our
technical team for submitting a pistol
that met or exceeded all of the Army's
requirements. We also extend our
appreciation to our MHS partner, Vista
Outdoor's Federal Cartridge, for creating
the most effective and innovative pistol
round we have ever tested, which performed flawlessly in the GLOCK 19 MHS
model." That Vista was Glock's MHS
partner has not been widely reported.
There is a very big story when it
comes to the MHS ammunition side.
The new ball XM1152 is said to fulfill
the Army's requirement for "increased
performance." Also, there is a new
"Special Purpose" (meaning hollowpoint) round, the XM1153, waiting for
legal interpretation regarding its use
on the battlefront. The Army, SIG Sauer
and Winchester Ammunition have all
been very tight lipped. Now that the
Glock protest has been resolved, it is
my hope that the Army and the companies involved will be more forthcoming
with information. This is the biggest
military handgun story in a generation.
The good news for consumers is
that Glock's MHS, entrant-the G19
MHS-may join two other outstanding
handguns that did not win the contract-the FN 509 (July 2017, p. 54)
and the Beretta APX (see p. 64)-on
the commercial market.