2018 New York State Boater's Guide - 14
All trailers operated on New York State's public highways must
be registered, and inspected much the same as passenger cars.
You must provide the Department of Motor Vehicles with the following items in order to receive a valid registration document for
1. a completed Application for Vehicle Registration (MV-82)
2. proof of ownership (either a signed Title document for 1973
or newer models, or a signed transferable registration for
3. proof of payment of sales tax (tax may be paid at any motor
vehicle issuing office)
4. proof of vehicle inspection
5. proof of identity
6. a check for the correct fee made out to the "Commissioner
of Motor Vehicles"
Presentation of these items to any motor vehicle issuing office
will produce a valid one-year registration for your trailer. If you have
questions go to www.dmv.ny.gov.
Trailers with an unladen weight of less than 1000 pounds are
exempt from titling requirements. Builders of homemade trailers
can contact their county's weights and measures office for locations
of weighing stations in your area.