Food Business News - December 17, 2013 - (Page 66)

Food Business in the News "This is the first significant step in dealing with this important public health concern in 20 years. No one should underestimate how big a lift this has been in changing widespread and long entrenched industry practices." David Kessler, a former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, commenting on the agency's effort to phase out the non-medical use of antibiotics in meat animal production. The New York Times Dec. 11, 2013 "Bacon has become more popular than other cuts, but hogs are not producing more bacon than they ever did, and so the price has gone up dramatically. Food fads come and food fads go. History says, at some point in time, this will go away." Ronald Plain, a professor of agricultural economics at the University of Missouri, commenting on consumer demand for bacon. "They are not doing extensive prepping and trimming of fresh foods. It's a lower touch operation. They will serve a less price conscious and time-starved customer. They want people to feel good about the prices, but it's about convenience rather than the lowest prices." Tom Furphy, who helped run AmazonFresh for about four years and is now chief executive officer of venture capital firm Consumer Equity Partners, commenting on the on-line retailer's grocery strategy. USA Today Dec. 11, 2013 Bloomberg Dec. 12, 2013 "The sugar guys win votes because they are better at politics than anyone else. What other interest group in town do you know that can consistently draw support from hard-core conservatives, ethnic liberals and cost-conscious moderates?" A Washington lobbyist who requested anonymity commenting on failed efforts to end subsidies to sugar producers. "Chinese customers don't pay. In China, 20% of customers have purchasing power and the other 80% will buy the cheapest thing." James Rice, former vicepresident of Tyson Foods' operations in China, commenting on the challenges of selling product in that market. "The industry has been flatfooted in their response. They should be reminding people that gluten is protein, generally thought of as a healthy nutrient compared to fats or carbs." The Washington Post Dec. 7, 2013 "This is a really big idea." 66 FOODBUSINESS NEWS ® CNN Money Dec. 2-8, 2013 Dec. 10, 2013 Howard Schultz, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Starbucks Corp., on what he thought when his management team outlined the company's packaged goods strategy. Bloomberg Businessweek The Wall Street Journal Michael Pollan, author of the book "The Omnivore's Dilemma," commenting on the grain-based foods industry's slow response to promote the benefits of gluten. Dec. 5, 2013 October 17, 2013 December 27, 2009

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of Food Business News - December 17, 2013

Food Business News - December 17, 2013
Post acquisition binge continues
WhiteWave Foods to acquire Earthbound Farm
New U.S.D.A. action plan targets Salmonella
Table of Contents
Web Contents
Editorial - Potential exists for a great 2014
Sysco to acquire US Foods in $8.2 billion deal
Pepsi ousts Coca-Cola at Buffalo Wild Wings
Kroger sees greater opportunity in ‘natural’ portfolio
Diamond Foods continues to struggle
C.D.C. taking food safety surveillance to food service
Use of antibiotics in meat animal production may be ending
Pizza: The next big thing in fast-casual?
On-line sales looming for food
Bob Evans Farm on the brink?
Post acquisition binge continues
Breaking in to breakfast
Global trends to watch in 2014
Yogurt makers pump up protein claims
Market Insight - Corn sweetener prices will be lower in 2014
Ingredient Innovations - Mimicking mother’s milk
Sodium reduction: A little goes a long way
Beverage Business News - Wellness beverages
New Food Products
Ingredient Market Trends - Nature’s bounty, nature’s wrath
Ingredient Markets
Supplier Innovations and News
Ad Index
Food Business in the News

Food Business News - December 17, 2013