2016-17 Course Catalog - 40
The profession of architecture touches everyone's life and is
central to solving problems in the creation of a built environment.
Architectural technicians are problem solvers who work with
clients on the design of buildings. They also create plans and
specifications that direct the construction of a building and
coordinate the work of other professional consultants and
Managing information and responding to the many diverse
requirements of governments, building conditions, and society
is increasingly important in the construction industry. The
architectural profession is rapidly integrating the technology
of computers and automation to assist in the management of
information and to free up time for creative work.
The instruction in architectural technology at Thaddeus Stevens
College prepares students to become qualified for employment
in the architectural profession and to transfer into architectural
programs in nationally-accredited universities. The instruction
also provides retraining in technological applications for people
currently employed in or reentering the profession.
High school prerequisites for this program are Algebra I & II and
a GPA of at least 2.5.
A graduate of this program will be able to do the following:
* Demonstrate knowledge of architectural presentation skills
including perspective, rendering, and illustration.
* Demonstrate skill in freehand drafting, instrument drafting,
* Demonstrate knowledge of building structure, materials, and
* Demonstrate knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and
plumbing building systems.
* Demonstrate knowledge of basic architectural design and
building code principles for residential and small commercial
* Apply mathematical skills necessary for architectural
* Apply AutoCAD® to architectural design and drafting
* Explain professional architectural practice.
* Demonstrate knowledge of site planning and design.
* Demonstrate knowledge of architectural terminology.
* Demonstrate oral, written, and visual communication skills.
40 * Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology
MODEL SCHEDULE FOR
ARCH 106 - Fundamentals of Architectural Drafting
ARCH 111 - Materials of Construction
ARCH 116 - Residential Details
ARCH 122 - AutoCad Architecture
ARCH 123 - Building Information Modeling
MATH 137 - Intermediate Algebra
CIS 111 - Intro to Computer Applications
ARCH 156 - Specifications, Estimating, and Contracts
ARCH 161 - Working Drawings
ARCH 166 - Rendering and Illustrations
ARCH 17 - Advanced Cad
MATH 141 - Trigonometry*
ENG 106 - English Composition
ARCH 206 - Advanced Methods and
Materials of Construction
ARCH 211 - Structural Systems
ARCH 216 - Site and Microclimate Design
PHYS 113 - Statics
ENG 216 - Technical Writing*
ARCH 256 - Environmental Systems
ARCH 261 - Life Safety and Building Codes
ARCH 266 - Architectural History
ARCH 271 - Individual Design Studio
ARCH 276 - Group Design Studio
ADDITIONAL GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
HEAL Elective HEAL 106 or HEAL 111
General Studies Elective