2016-17 Course Catalog - 51
Electro-Mechanical Technology (or mechatronics) is one
of the most in-demand and highly sought-after careers in
the manufacturing industry. The combination of electrical
engineering, electronic engineering, mechanical engineering
and skills based in computer-aided drafting, and machine
technology create a unique blend of knowledge desirable to
industry. These technicians are trained in a variety of skill areas,
allowing companies to utilize their knowledge for a vast array
of technical and mechanical issues. When necessary, industry
will call on more advanced specialists, however, for the everyday
issues that arise which could cost the company revenue when they
occur. Having a multi-skilled technician on staff that can address
issues immediately allows companies to continue production
at a minimal loss. Electromechanical technicians have become
essential positions in the manufacturing industry.
A graduate of this program will be able to do the following:
* Disassemble machinery or equipment to remove parts and
* Repair or replace broken or malfunctioning components of
machinery or equipment.
* Repair or maintain the operating condition of industrial
production or processing machinery or equipment.
* Examine parts for defects, such as breakage or excessive wear.
* Reassemble equipment after completion of inspections,
testing, or repairs.
* Observe and test the operation of machinery or equipment to
verify the adequacy of repairs.
* Clean, lubricate, or adjust parts, equipment, or machinery.
* Analyze test results, machine error messages, or information
obtained from operators to diagnose equipment problems.
* Record repairs and maintenance performed.
MODEL SCHEDULE FOR
ELME 104 Mechanical Systems I
ELME 105 Manufacturing Fundamentals
ELME 107 Electrical Systems I
MATH 137 Intermediate Algebra
or Pre-Calculus (4 credits)
ENG 106 Composition I
ELME 109 Programmable Logic Controllers I
ELME 116 Mechanical Systems II
ELME 117 Electrical Systems II
MATH 141 Trigonometry or
If Pre-Calculus (MATH 207) selected, then ELECTIVE
ENG 216 Technical Writing
ELME 204 Mechanical Systems III
ELME 208 Programmable Logic Controllers II
ELME 215 Robotics and Motion Control
PHYS 213 General Physics
ELME 214 Mechatronics Seminar & Advanced Project
ELME 218 Process Control and
ELME 225 Computer Integrated Manufacturing
Sys & PLC III
ADDITIONAL GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
HEAL Elective HEAL 106 or HEAL 111
ELECTIVE General Education Elective
ELECTIVE General Studies Elective
Academic Catalog * 51