2016-17 Course Catalog - 55
Masonry Construction Technology provides the opportunity to
develop the skills of a proficient mason, from the simple spreading
of mortar to the complex construction of an inside fireplace. These
skills are developed by practice projects, which are preceded by
theory lectures and demonstrations. Faculty members show films
on various aspects of the trade, and students take field trips to
learn about the manufacture of masonry products.
Since a large part of masonry work is decorative as well as
functional, special emphasis is placed on appreciation of the
beauty and permanence of brickwork and on the development of
pride in good workmanship.
Students find employment in the field as masons, and with
experience, as forepersons or superintendents. Many masons are
A graduate of this program will be able to do the following:
* Operate masonry tools and equipment safely and effectively.
* Use masonry terminology.
* Read blueprints to estimate materials quantity and pricing.
* Lay out and construct footings and build a block foundation.
* Apply brick veneering to a structure.
* Construct a masonry arch.
* Lay out and set ceramic tile.
* Construct an inside fireplace and chimney.
* Repair older masonry structures.
* Organize personnel and materials at a construction site.
* Provide all masonry options in current residential
MODEL SCHEDULE FOR
MASONRY CONSTRUCTION TECHNOLOGY
MASN 101 Intro to Tools Safety and Equipment
MASN 105 Intro to Masonry Construction
MASN 116 Chimney Construction
MASN 110 Development of Masonry Materials
ENG 106 English Composition
MATH 126 Technical Mathematics I or higher
MASN 157 Block Construction
MASN 158 Adhered Concrete Masonry Veneer
MASN 162 Hard-scaping Patios & Retaining Walls
MASN 167 Masonry Restoration and Building Walls
MASN 171 Concrete Sidewalks
CIS 111 Intro to Computer Applications OR
CIS 105 Drawing with AutoCad
MATH 137* or higher (Math 136 is an option)
HEAL 111 Basic First Aid
MASN 207 Advanced Masonry Applications
MASN 211 Planning and Management
MASN 216 Blueprint Reading and Estimating
ENG 221 Public Speaking, OR
ENG 216 Technical Writing
MASN 256 Fireplace Construction
MASN 261 Arch Construction
MASN 266 Tile Setting
MASN 271 Footings and Foundations
BUSN 106 Small Business Management
Academic Catalog * 55