2016-17 Course Catalog - 59
Students in the Plumbing Technology program learn how to
design, install, and repair residential and commercial plumbing
systems and hydronic heating systems. Some of the skills acquired
are joining different types of piping materials, reading blueprints,
and installing and repairing boilers, plumbing fixtures, faucets,
and water heaters.
Employment opportunities in the plumbing and pipe-fitting
industries include the installation of plumbing and heating
systems in new buildings and the installation and maintenance
of plumbing, heating, and piping systems for industries, public
utilities, or government agencies. Self-employment is another
option. Many graduates become self-employed plumbers after
completing their apprenticeships.
A graduate of this program will be able to do the following:
* Apply safety principles and demonstrate good work habits in
* Use the hand and power tools of the trade.
* Identify piping materials and install them using proper
* Use and apply trade terms and technical data.
* Read and interpret blueprints, specifications, and codes as
they apply to the trade.
* Lay out, estimate, calculate, and use mathematical skills as
required in the trade.
* Install, maintain, and repair plumbing, heating, and
mechanical systems and equipment.
* Keep abreast of new developments in the field.
* Demonstrate the ability to write letters of application, memos,
work orders, reports, and apply communication skills in the
world of work.
MODEL SCHEDULE FOR PLUMBING TECHNOLOGY
PLBG 106 The Plumbing Trade
PLBG 111 Plumbing Design I
PLBG 116 Plumbing Installation I
PLBG 121 Construction Blueprint Reading
MATH 126 Technical Mathematics I(or higher)
ENG 106 English Composition
HEAL 111 Basic First Aid
PLBG 156 Plumbing Design II
PLBG 161 Plumbing Installation II
PLBG 166 Plumbing Service I
CIS 111 Intro to Computer Applications
PLBG 206 Plumbing Design III
PLBG 211 Plumbing Installation III
PLBG 216 Plumbing Installation IV
PLBG 221 Plumbing Service II
BUSN 106 Small Business Management
PLBG 256 Plumbing Design IV
PLBG 261 Plumbing Installation V
PLBG 266 Plumbing Service III
PLBG 271 Plumbing Installation VI
ELECTIVE General Education Elective
ELECTIVE Humanities Elective
Academic Catalog * 59