2017-18 AcademicCatalog - 26
Repeated surveys of the woodworking industry have
revealed the number one concern facing the industry for the
21st century is the lack of skilled and motivated workers.
There is a continual need in the furniture, kitchen cabinet,
and architectural millwork industries for persons possessing
the skills and knowledge required to produce high quality
The Cabinetmaking and Wood Technology program is
committed to continually providing students with the
skills and knowledge required for rewarding jobs in the
various woodworking industries. Based upon the belief that
students learn best by working on projects, this program is
Hence, students will produce several pieces of fine furniture
after which they will further develop and display their skills
by producing an advanced wood project of their choosing.
Through the use of the College's housing project, students
will learn to list and produce all the millwork items required
for a residential house. Additionally, students will design,
produce, finish, and install a complete kitchen. Through the
use of lectures, demonstrations and the above projects,
the program faculty feel they can best prepare students for
careers in any of the three major woodworking fields: fine
furniture, architectural millwork, and kitchen cabinetry.
26 * Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology
A graduate of this program will be able to do the following:
* Identify nomenclature and the proper use of hand and
portable power tools.
* Apply the knowledge of wood as a material in the proper
construction of various fine furniture projects.
* Demonstrate safe practice in the use and setup of trade
* Demonstrate skill in the use of drafting equipment in
order to produce shop drawings.
* Read shop blueprints to develop accurate material lists.
* Demonstrate knowledge of finishing materials along
with the skills required for wood finishing including
the following: wood preparation, wood coloring using
various stains, and top coating using oil finishes,
shellacs, varnishes, and lacquers.
* Demonstrate the ability to list and prepare millwork
items required for various building projects.
* Demonstrate proficiency in grinding knives for the
shaper and moulder and the setup of machines for
* Demonstrate the ability to produce jigs and fixtures
required for production work.
* Demonstrate the skills and knowledge necessary for
kitchen layout, design, construction, and installation.
* Develop the skills and knowledge required for producing
various types of countertops.
* Develop a strong work ethic along with the ability to
work independently and as a contributing member of