2017-18 AcademicCatalog - 74
Masonry Construction Technology provides the opportunity
to develop the skills of a proficient mason, from the simple
spreading of mortar to the complex construction of an inside
fireplace. These skills are developed by practice projects,
which are preceded by theory lectures and demonstrations.
Faculty members show films on various aspects of the trade,
and students take field trips to learn about the manufacture
of masonry products.
Since a large part of masonry work is decorative as well
as functional, special emphasis is placed on appreciation
of the beauty and permanence of brickwork and on the
development of pride in good workmanship.
Students find employment in the field as masons, and
with experience, as forepersons or superintendents. Many
masons are self-employed.
74 * Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology
A graduate of this program will be able to do the following:
* Operate masonry tools and equipment safely and
* Use masonry terminology.
* Read blueprints to estimate materials quantity and
* Lay out and construct footings and build a block
* Apply brick veneering to a structure.
* Construct a masonry arch.
* Lay out and set ceramic tile.
* Construct an inside fireplace and chimney.
* Repair older masonry structures.
* Organize personnel and materials at a construction site.
* Provide all masonry options in current residential