2017-18 AcademicCatalog - 82
Metals Fabrication and Welding Technology provides
the student a working knowledge of the various tools,
equipment and modern techniques used in the metals
fabrication, mechanical installation and welding industries.
The proper application of various layout, fabrication
and assembly techniques for specific designs in sheet
metal, plate, structural metals and pipe will be stressed.
Students will design, estimate, fabricate and install
projects relative to air handling systems, structural and
miscellaneous fabricated systems. Proper and safe
work habits must be developed due to the nature of the
equipment necessary to be successful in the industry.
The understanding and mastery of layout techniques is an
essential component for success in the Metals Fabrication
and Welding fields. Therefore, disciplines in the basic,
parallel line, radial line and triangulation methods of layout
are covered. Also, instruction in blueprint reading relative
to the manufacturing and construction industries will be
required. Included are components in drafting, orthographic
projection and symbol interpretation. Gas metal arc, shielded
metal arc, gas tungsten arc, oxy-acetylene and flux core
arc welding will be studied and practiced to allow students
to obtain skills for a total understanding of fabricated
projects from design through the final assembly processes.
Graduates of the Metals Fabrication and Welding
Technology program are prepared to work in businesses
and industries that design, build and install products
that have been fabricated from sheet, plate and
structural metals. Areas of employment include:
* H.V.A.C. Sheetmetal Duct Systems Fabrication and
* Precision Sheetmetal Layout and Fabrication
* Industrial Maintenance/Millwright
* Plate Layout/Fitter for Industrial Fabrication
* Mechanical Systems Estimator/Project Manager
* Fabrication Machinery Operator
* Equipment Manufacturing and Installation
* Structural Steel and Miscellaneous Iron Fabrication
* Automated Cutting Systems Operation Programming
* Sales - Industrial Equipment or Contractor
* Shop/Installation Foreman
* Fabrication of sanitary stainless steel products
82 * Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology
* Food and Pharmaceutical processing applications
* Industrial Ventilation Fabrication and Installation
A graduate of this program will be able to do the following:
* Demonstrate the ability to perform technical work
related to welding, structural steel fabrication, sheet
metal and plate fabrication, applying OSHA and other
applicable safety standards to work safely.
* Apply concepts of geometry, trigonometry and
physics to develop, layout, fit and weld various fittings,
structures and systems associated with industrial and
commercial metals fabrication.
* Identify and demonstrate correct use of various hand
and power tools used in the fabrication industry.
* Demonstrate the ability to develop and interpret
blueprints using excepted practices of orthographic
* Determine set-up effectiveness of shop equipment and
develop methods of manufacturing various products.
* Keep accurate records of project work, time expended,
materials used and costs incurred associated with a
* Demonstrate a comprehension of business practices
related to the metals fabrication industry.
* Estimate the costs associated with the design,
fabrication and installation of various structural, sheet
metal or maintenance projects.
* Demonstrate basic oral communication skills, speak
logically and use various types of oral and written
communication techniques to promote good business
relationships, to develop leadership, and to establish
good employer, customer and employee relationships.
* Demonstrate competency in the simple, parallel line,
radial line and triangulation methods of layout to
develop elbows, transitions, and tees in both round and
* Understand industry standards of quality.
* Demonstrate the ability to choose the proper materials,
fabrication and welding procedures for given projects.
* Be prepared to except the challenges and
responsibilities of the metals fabrication industry,
knowing the full range of employment and