2017-18 AcademicCatalog - 90
Residential remodeling has become an essential part of
the construction industry. Remodelers add living space to
existing homes and retrofit homes to modern conveniences
and updated building codes. Remodeling can be done not
only for cosmetic purposes but also for structural reasons,
as well as to increase the energy efficiency of older homes.
Jobs available in the residential remodeling field include but
are not limited to carpenters; painters; drywall and ceiling
tile installers; roofers; woodworkers; kitchen and bath
remodelers; siding, roofing, and aluminum installers; and
Upon graduation, students of the Residential Remodeling
program will have a number of different opportunities
available. In addition to working in their field, graduates
will also have the chance to continue their education in
areas such as project management, technical education,
residential designer, civil engineering, and structural
engineering degrees. Advanced opportunities as crew
leaders, supervisors, assistant supervisors, superintendents
and small business owners may also be possible for
graduates of the program.
90 * Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology
A graduate of this program will be able to do the following:
* Understand the history of residential buildings in the
20th and 21st centuries.
* Demonstrate basic carpentry woodworking skills.
* Demonstrate successful use of basic and advanced
tools of the profession.
* Read blueprints to lay out projects necessary to
* Calculate material quantities and estimate time
allowances for projects using mathematical skills
required in the profession.
* Apply remodeling skills necessary for interior, exterior,
kitchen, and bathroom projects.
* Operate masonry tools and equipment safely and
* Complete basic masonry repairs.
* Identify and rectify basic plumbing problems in an
* Troubleshoot basic electrical circuits found in a dwelling.
* Practice safety in the lab and on-site environments.
* Demonstrate a strong work ethic and the ability to work
both independently and as a contributing member of a
* Stay current with any new technology or codes related