The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES - (Page 17)

Entry and residency P ro c e d u r e s B oBTaInInG a RESIDEnCy PERMIT The requirement to obtain a residency permit mainly concerns citizens of non-European Union (EU) countries. Since July 1 2008, citizens of the member states of the European Union do not need a residency permit (carte de séjour) and can work in France solely on the basis of their passport or identity card. This special system also applies to citizens of the European Economic Area, Monaco, Switzerland, and Andorra. Only Bulgarians and Romanians remain subject to the requirement of obtaining a residency permit when they want to carry out paid work in France. This transitory mechanism is valid until 31 December 2013. Temporary residency permit marked “scientist” Unless a foreign researcher has a visa de long séjour temporaire (temporary long-stay visa), when they stay in France for three months on the basis of a convention d’accueil it is absolutely essential that they have a special temporary residency permit: the carte de séjour temporaire mention `scientifique’. [ ] This document is written proof that the foreign researcher’s presence in France is legal, which is why French law requires the holder to always have it on them. It generally matches the period covered by the convention d’accueil and can be renewed, if necessary, within the two months preceding its expiry date. Application for this carte de séjour temporaire must be made at the prefecture (or at their local mairie) within the two months following the arrival of the researcher, and their spouse if applicable, in France. Medical check-up As medical fitness is an essential condition for the issuing of a carte de séjour temporaire, any foreign researcher who is not a citizen of the European Union or of the European Economic Area, and who is staying in France for over 3 months, has to undergo a compulsory medical check-up carried out at the regional branches of the Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration (OFII). During their application for a residency permit, the researcher completes a form entitled Demande de contrôle médical en vue de la première délivrance d’un titre de séjour (Request for a medical check-up with a view to the first issue of a residency permit). The ANAEM then sends the person concerned a letter inviting him and his family, if need be, to the medical check-up. If the researcher is declared fit after the check-up, the OFII issues a medical fitness certificate, which is a necessary requirement for the obtaining of a carte de séjour. Important ! A foreign researcher with a VLS/TS must, within three months of his arrival in France, take steps to validate his VLS/TS with the OFFI (French Immigration & Integration Office). Without OFFI approval, the long stay visa cannot be used as a residence permit. Procedure: send a letter by recorded delivery (lettre recommandée avec demande d’avis de réception) to the regional OFII, containing: • the OFII certificate request form • photocopies of your passport: ID page and the page bearing the stamp given when entering France • a copy of your study agreement (convention d’accueil). You must attend a compulsory medical or an initial appointment. Once these steps are complete, an OFFII seal will be added to your visa, which is now a valid «residence permit». Please note that if the researcher wishes to travel before the addition of the OFII stamp to their visa: - during their first three months in France, starting from their date of arrival, it is possible for them to leave and return to French territory (within the SCHENGEN area and between their country of origin and France ) without the need for further administrative procedures. During this period, this document will serve as their visa. - After this three month period, travel is then only possible (within SCHENGEN area and between home country and France) if you have received the «OFII certification» (letter from OFII confirming receipt of visa validation request), or if your visa has been validated (OFII seal). 17

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES

Introduction to Rennes
A - The city of Rennes
B - The Université Européenne de Bretagne
Entry and residency formalities
A - Obtaining a visa
B - Obtaining a carte de séjour (residency permit)
Health insurance and health care
A - Social security and health insurance
B - Access to health care
A - Finding somewhere to live
B - Practical information
C - Before arrival
D - Deposit and co-signing
Banks and money
A - Opening an account
B - The cost of living in Rennes
C - Income tax
D - Retirement pensions
Coming with your family
A - Administrative procedures
B - Educational system
C - Schools
D - Childcare facilities for young children
E - Organising work for your spouse
F - Family allowances/benefits
G - Unemployment and the Rights of Foreigners
Daily life
A - Eating
B - Getting around
C - Learning French
D - Communicating
Free time : culture, leisure and sporting activities
A - Where to get information
B - Cultural events and festivals in Rennes
C - Leisure activities
D - Sporting activities
Useful contacts

The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES