The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES - (Page 19)

He a lt h in s u r a nc e and health care The above information relates to researchers and those PhD students who benefit from the scientist's procedure. Other cases should refer to the ‘International students’ guide’. A SoCIal SECURITy anD HEalTH InSURanCE proof of your entitlement to social security by bringing with you evidence, such as a payslip, of having worked at least 60 hours during the month. o If you are a grant-holder or if you are in receipt of benefits and allowances, you are not considered as being a paid worker in France and so you must take out private personal insurance or else prove that you are insured in your home country. You can also ask to be voluntarily incorporated into the French social security system by applying for Couverture Maladie Universelle (CMU – Universal Health Coverage). (For information on the CMU, see below). o PhD Students who are not paid employees but who are continuing their studies benefit from the student social security system until the age of 28, after which they can be directly affiliated to the CMU. Universal Health Coverage (CMU) © S. Priou The social security system The French social welfare system enables all salaried employees, whether French or non-French, to benefit from the social security scheme’s coverage of the cost of health care resulting from illness and accidents. The financing of these benefits is mainly provided by contributions made by both the employer and the employee. o If you are a salaried employee, you are automatically incorporated into the social security régime général (general scheme) and affiliated to the Caisse primaire d’assurance maladie (CPAM), the French social security office that deals with medical insurance in your place of residence. Your contributions are paid automatically. When you join the system, you will be allocated a social security number and given a carte d’assuré social, or carte vitale; a card which is given to all those paying social security contributions. These will permit the reimbursement of those health care expenses incurred both by yourself and other eligible family members, i.e. your spouse or partner, and dependent children aged under 16 years old (under 20 years old if they are students). After a month in France, all you have to do is to go to the Caisse primaire d’assurance maladie (CPAM) to provide Those people who, because they are not salaried employees, are not covered by the state health insurance scheme against the risk of illness have access to the CMU. The basic CMU entitles the claimant to the health insurance and maternity benefits and allowances, e.g. reimbursement of health-care treatment and medicines, of the social security general scheme (which applies to salaried employees). The CMU’s basic cover is free if the claimant’s income is below an annual income limit of €8,644 per taxable household. It is open to any foreigner who has lived on a regular and uninterrupted basis in France for at least 3 months, and who is not entitled to any other form of health insurance. A carte de séjour or a receipt proving that a carte de séjour has been applied for are essential when claiming CMU. Furthermore, the applicant, and other eligible family members, must not be attached to any other social protection system, e.g. in their home country. The claim for CMU de base (basic CMU), including both the researcher and eligible family members, must be made at the Caisse primaire d’assurance maladie (CPAM). For further information: CPaM d’Ille-et-Vilaine (Caisse primaire d’assurance maladie) Cours des Alliés BP 34 A - 35024 Rennes Cedex 9 Tel. 36 46 Opening times: Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5pm, except the first Thursday of every month (opens at 10.30am) Telephone line open from Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. 19

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES

Introduction to Rennes
A - The city of Rennes
B - The Université Européenne de Bretagne
Entry and residency formalities
A - Obtaining a visa
B - Obtaining a carte de séjour (residency permit)
Health insurance and health care
A - Social security and health insurance
B - Access to health care
A - Finding somewhere to live
B - Practical information
C - Before arrival
D - Deposit and co-signing
Banks and money
A - Opening an account
B - The cost of living in Rennes
C - Income tax
D - Retirement pensions
Coming with your family
A - Administrative procedures
B - Educational system
C - Schools
D - Childcare facilities for young children
E - Organising work for your spouse
F - Family allowances/benefits
G - Unemployment and the Rights of Foreigners
Daily life
A - Eating
B - Getting around
C - Learning French
D - Communicating
Free time : culture, leisure and sporting activities
A - Where to get information
B - Cultural events and festivals in Rennes
C - Leisure activities
D - Sporting activities
Useful contacts

The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES