The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES - (Page 29)

Ho u s ing Flat-sharing • This may be a great idea for both practical and financial reasons. Some websites require you to pay to use them Student accommodation CRoUS Étudiants en mobilité internationale 7, place Hoche - CS 26428 35064 RENNES Cedex. For further information, check out your CMI student handbook. Host institution accommodation: Sometimes, the host institution may provide accommodation for French and foreign PhD students. For more information, contact directly the international relations department of the institution in question. Rent controlled accommodation (HlM - habitation à loyer modéré): • Requires residence permit for over 3 months • Long waiting list C BEFoRE MoVInG In There are several steps you need to take before you can move in to your accommodation: • Sign a lease: A lease, known as a «bail» in French, is compulsory. It must be signed by the tenant (you) and the landlord (the owner, also known as a lessor, or bailleur). The lease must be for at least 3 years. The tenant may exit the contract at any time by giving 3 months’ notice, which may be reduced to 1 month in special circumstances (moving for work, made redundant, etc.). • Take an inventory: An inventory is the detailed description of the property and any furnishings. It is used to compare the initial condition of the property with the condition it is in when you leave, and determines any repairs that must be made, and whether the owner of the tenant has to pay for them. • Provide co-signer (caution solidaire) and a deposit (dépôt de garantie). See «Co-signer or deposit» section for more information. • Take out buildings insurance (assurance habitation): Ville de Rennes – Service Habitat Social 19B rue de Chatillon (centre d’affaires Sud-gare) BP 3126 – 35031 Rennes Cedex Tel. +33 (0)2 23 62 16 30,5028 it is compulsory to insure your accommodation so that you are protected against any risks (fire, water damage, etc.). You may take out a policy with an insurance company, a bank, or a private insurer, and the policy must be provided to the owner when you move in to the accommodation. Tip: choose a «multirisques habitation» policy that includes civil liability insurance. Espacil Habitat – HlM for students 1 rue du Scorff – CS 54221 35042 Rennes Cedex Tel. +33 (0)2 99 83 41 08 For more information: CDIA (Centre de documentation et d’information de l’assurance) • Register for electricity and gas: B PRaCTICal InFoRMaTIon Various types of accommodation are offered by both estate agencies and by private individuals. There are rooms (most often in private houses), studios (flats of between 20m2 and 30m2 in size, with a small kitchen area and a bathroom), and T1, T2, T3, etc. flats (otherwise called F1, F2, F3, etc.), categorised as such according to the number of rooms in addition to the kitchen or kitchenette and the bathroom. Small ads – the most common abbreviations : chges or ch: charges CC: charges comprises charges included TTC: toutes taxes comprises - including tax kitch: kitchenette balc: balcon - balcony ascen: ascenseur - lift/ elevator part: particulier - private owner (as opposed to agency) 29,5028

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES

Introduction to Rennes
A - The city of Rennes
B - The Université Européenne de Bretagne
Entry and residency formalities
A - Obtaining a visa
B - Obtaining a carte de séjour (residency permit)
Health insurance and health care
A - Social security and health insurance
B - Access to health care
A - Finding somewhere to live
B - Practical information
C - Before arrival
D - Deposit and co-signing
Banks and money
A - Opening an account
B - The cost of living in Rennes
C - Income tax
D - Retirement pensions
Coming with your family
A - Administrative procedures
B - Educational system
C - Schools
D - Childcare facilities for young children
E - Organising work for your spouse
F - Family allowances/benefits
G - Unemployment and the Rights of Foreigners
Daily life
A - Eating
B - Getting around
C - Learning French
D - Communicating
Free time : culture, leisure and sporting activities
A - Where to get information
B - Cultural events and festivals in Rennes
C - Leisure activities
D - Sporting activities
Useful contacts

The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES