The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES - (Page 31)

Ho u s ing D DEPoSIT anD Co-SIGnInG Guarantor: In order to guarantee that rent is in full and on time, agencies and owners often request a «third party deposit» or «guarantor». A guarantor is a physical or legal person that co-signs the lease with the tenant. The guarantor promises to pay the rent if the tenant does not. Traditionally, a co-signer is requested when the tenant’s monthly income after tax is less than 3 times the rent without charges. © D. levasseur Deposit : • Financial assistance To move into the accommodation, you will be asked to pay a sum equal to one month’s rent (this can be up to two months’ rent for furnished rentals). This sum will be returned to you when you leave the property, although the cost of any damages caused by you may be deducted. InICIal The French Government provides two types of financial assistance for accommodation to people on low incomes, depending on their means and the type of accommodation: the APL (Aide Personnalisée au Logement - Personalised Housing Aid), and the ALS (Allocation Logement à Caractère Sociale - Social Housing Aid) APL : can be paid to any person, whether French or non-French, on a low income and living in a logement conventionné (usually, but not always, social housing (HLM). (If you are renting a logement conventionné, his will be mentioned in your tenancy contract). To receive APL, you must complete an application form, which you can obtain from the CAF covering the area where you live. The benefit will be paid directly to your landlord, who will reduce the amount of rent you have to pay by an equivalent sum. Certain foyers (hostels) are also classed as conventionné, and if you live in one you can therefore be paid APL. ALS : any tenant can receive ALS for their main home, but such financial help is means-tested. The accommodation must meet certain minimum criteria as regards comfort (drinking water, sink, toilets, means of heating) and surface area. Ask the CAF for an application form, and if you fulfil the conditions, the benefit will be paid directly into your bank account. The amount of this benefit varies according to your income, the amount of rent paid, and the place where you live. 19 rue de la Chalotais 35000 Rennes Tel. +33 (0)2 99 67 30 30 The APL and ALS are mutually exclusive benefits. You cannot receive both at the same time. The conditions for payment of these benefits are reassessed every year. For more information: • Loca-pass and Pass GRL assistance: tenant risk deposits Organisations exist that can help you with your deposit or co-signer: CIl Habitat ouest 1 rue du Scorff - CS 54 221 35042 RENNES CEDEX Tel. +33 (0)2 99 27 20 00 aSTRIa 6 rue de l’Abbé Grégoire CS 50824 35028 Rennes Cedex 2 Tel. +33 (0)2 99 22 20 40 • Co-signer: FSl: Fonds Solidarité logement. Agence Départementale d’Information sur le Logement (ADIL - Accommodation Information Agency) 22, rue Poullain Duparc - 35000 RENNES – Tel. +33 (0)2 99 78 27 27 For further information on your situation and what you may be entitled to, contact : CaF (Caisse d’allocations familiales) Cours des Alliés - 35028 Rennes Cedex 9 Tel. 0 810 25 35 10 - Bus : nos 3 & 18. Bus stop : Colombier. Metro : Charles de Gaulle aDIl (Agence départementale d’information sur le logement d’Ille-et-Vilaine) : 22 rue Poullain-Duparc - 35000 Rennes Tel. 02 99 78 27 27 - 31

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES

Introduction to Rennes
A - The city of Rennes
B - The Université Européenne de Bretagne
Entry and residency formalities
A - Obtaining a visa
B - Obtaining a carte de séjour (residency permit)
Health insurance and health care
A - Social security and health insurance
B - Access to health care
A - Finding somewhere to live
B - Practical information
C - Before arrival
D - Deposit and co-signing
Banks and money
A - Opening an account
B - The cost of living in Rennes
C - Income tax
D - Retirement pensions
Coming with your family
A - Administrative procedures
B - Educational system
C - Schools
D - Childcare facilities for young children
E - Organising work for your spouse
F - Family allowances/benefits
G - Unemployment and the Rights of Foreigners
Daily life
A - Eating
B - Getting around
C - Learning French
D - Communicating
Free time : culture, leisure and sporting activities
A - Where to get information
B - Cultural events and festivals in Rennes
C - Leisure activities
D - Sporting activities
Useful contacts

The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES