The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES - (Page 35)

B a nk s and money B THE CoST oF lIVInG In REnnES Type of purchase Monthly rent: Room in a privately owned house (lodgings): Unfurnished Studio Flat: Furnished Studio Flat: T2: T4: Food: meal (in a café or brasserie): Transport (bus and metro): bus/metro ticket: Monthly bus/underground pass - de 27 ans + de 27 ans Baguette of bread (250gr): Newspaper: regional daily (Ouest-France): national daily: Coffee: Council swimming pool: Cinema ticket (full price): Average prices e300 e250 e350 e450 e600 e15 to to to to to e350 e300 e450 e550 e700 e1,40 e29,10 e42,60 e1 e0,80 e1,40 e2 e4,40 e9,70 These prices are subject to change during the year. C InCoME TaX The above information relates to researchers and those PhD students who benefit from the scientific procedure. Other cases should refer to the ‘International students’ guide’. you may be liable to pay income tax, whatever the length of your stay and the nature of your income in France, e.g. salary or grant. like all other French citizens, therefore, you must declare your income every year by completing: - a pre-completed online form is available at: www. - a paper form to be sent to the tax office This procedure concerns most salaried scientists.. However, an exception to this applies to non-residents, who are defined as being people who do not officially live in France, and who have kept their official place of residence in another country. For those in this category, the employer informs the Centre des Impots (Tax Office) that they should benefit from a scheme called prélèvement à la source (deduction at source/pay as you earn (go) system). With this system, the employer deducts the sum corresponding to the income tax directly from the researcher’s salary each month. Ask your employer to see if they have set up this type of deduction at source/ pay as you earn system. Those researchers in receipt of grants, e.g. post-doctoral research fellows, are also concerned as only those students who are holders of bourses sociales (those with lower household incomes) are not, under certain conditions, liable to pay income tax. Researchers whose residency permit is marked “scientifique”(”scientist”), “travailleur salarié” (“salaried worker”), or “travailleur temporaire” (“temporary worker”) must declare their annual income. If you are declaring your income for taxation purposes for the first time, you must ask the Centre des Impôts (Tax Office) or the mairie of your place of residence for an imprimé de déclaration de revenus (income tax declaration form). For further information, contact : Centre des Impôts de Rennes 2 boulevard Magenta - BP 37 - 35023 Rennes Tel. 02 99 29 36 00 France has signed more than 100 bilateral taxation agreements with different countries. Some of these agreements contain specific measures which allow either the continuation of payment of income tax in a person’s usual country of residence for taxation purposes and not in France, or sometimes even for the person to be completely exempt from the payment of income tax. A list of these agreements can be found at the following address : Then click on "international" D RETIREMEnT PEnSIonS Foreigners working in France pay social security contributions as French citizens do, and obtain the same pension eligibility. Contact your pension fund for more information. European nationals: the French government will calculate your pension and take your career abroad into account. Quarters worked in the countries where you have lived will be included when determining your total subscription period and your pension. Non-EU countries: you must contact the French body you subscribe to prior to leaving France. The French pension authority will calculate your pension independently of your career abroad. Quarters worked abroad will not be included when calculating your French pension. Before retiring, you must take the initial administrative steps several months in advance. Remember: Your papers must be in order to obtain a pension. Namely: If you have only spent a few months or years in France and you have permanently returned to your home country, then French law forbids the refund of your national insurance contributions made during your stay. However, they will not be lost: if you have paid at least one quarter of national insurance, then you will be eligible for a pension upon reaching the legal French retirement age. 35

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES

Introduction to Rennes
A - The city of Rennes
B - The Université Européenne de Bretagne
Entry and residency formalities
A - Obtaining a visa
B - Obtaining a carte de séjour (residency permit)
Health insurance and health care
A - Social security and health insurance
B - Access to health care
A - Finding somewhere to live
B - Practical information
C - Before arrival
D - Deposit and co-signing
Banks and money
A - Opening an account
B - The cost of living in Rennes
C - Income tax
D - Retirement pensions
Coming with your family
A - Administrative procedures
B - Educational system
C - Schools
D - Childcare facilities for young children
E - Organising work for your spouse
F - Family allowances/benefits
G - Unemployment and the Rights of Foreigners
Daily life
A - Eating
B - Getting around
C - Learning French
D - Communicating
Free time : culture, leisure and sporting activities
A - Where to get information
B - Cultural events and festivals in Rennes
C - Leisure activities
D - Sporting activities
Useful contacts

The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES