The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES - (Page 37)

C o min g with your family The above information relates to researchers and those PhD students who benefit from the scientific procedure. Other cases should refer to the ‘International students’ guide’. B EDUCaTIonal SySTEM A aDMInISTRaTIVE Attendance at school in France is compulsory between the ages of 6 and 16. Education is free in state schools, but must be paid for in private schools. However, the syllabuses are the same in both state and private schools because they are established at the national level. Your partner should request, upon presentation of your study agreement: Most schools offer catering facilities for pupils at midday as well as, in the case of nursery and primary schools, a child-minding service both before and after school. PRoCEDURES • a short stay C «conjoint de scientifique» visa for stays under 3 months. • a long stay D «conjoint de scientifique» visa for stays over 3 months. This visa will state «CESEDA L313-115» and «carte de séjour à solliciter dans les deux mois suivant l’arrivée (request residence permit within two months of arrival)». Remember that for the time being, your partner is not eligible for the long stay visa valid as residence permit. If your children have their own passport, you must make a request for a long-stay “visiteur” (visitor) visa. If they are still included on your passport, you must mention your children on the visa application form. The note “+2X” will appear on the visa in the case, for example, of two children. Once in France, your partner must take their long stay visa, as well as other documents including a marriage certificate, to the prefecture in order to request a family residence permit (vie privée et familiale). This permit means that your partner can work in France without requiring a work permit. Its length of validity and renewal is the same as those on your residence permit. In the case of children, a carte de séjour is not compulsory until the age of 18. o École maternelle (nursery school – from the age of 3) is not compulsory. o École élémentaire (primary school – from the age of 6) has 2 cycles : CP (cours préparatoire) / CE1 and CE2 (cours élémentaires years 1 and 2) and CM1 (cours moyen year 1) / CM2 (cours moyens year 2). o Collège has 3 cycles : 6th, 5th, and 4th / 3rd. o Lycée covers the 3 school years known as seconde (15 – 16 year olds), première (16 – 17 year olds), and terminale (up to the leaving age at 18). The baccalauréat is the school-leaving examination which is taken in the final year at lycée. Specialised lycées professionnels prepare students for vocationally-based baccalauréats professionnels and BEPs (Brevets d’Études Professionelles), and lycées techniques prepare students for the baccalauréats technologiques. To find out more about European educational systems, see: Centre de mobilité internationale de Rennes Université européenne de Bretagne 5, bd Laënnec 35000 Rennes © Istock 37

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES

Introduction to Rennes
A - The city of Rennes
B - The Université Européenne de Bretagne
Entry and residency formalities
A - Obtaining a visa
B - Obtaining a carte de séjour (residency permit)
Health insurance and health care
A - Social security and health insurance
B - Access to health care
A - Finding somewhere to live
B - Practical information
C - Before arrival
D - Deposit and co-signing
Banks and money
A - Opening an account
B - The cost of living in Rennes
C - Income tax
D - Retirement pensions
Coming with your family
A - Administrative procedures
B - Educational system
C - Schools
D - Childcare facilities for young children
E - Organising work for your spouse
F - Family allowances/benefits
G - Unemployment and the Rights of Foreigners
Daily life
A - Eating
B - Getting around
C - Learning French
D - Communicating
Free time : culture, leisure and sporting activities
A - Where to get information
B - Cultural events and festivals in Rennes
C - Leisure activities
D - Sporting activities
Useful contacts

The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES