The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES - (Page 43)

C o min g with your family The above information relates to researchers and those PhD students who benefit from the scientist's procedure. Other cases should refer to the ‘International students’ guide’. G UnEMPloyMEnT anD THE RIGHTS oF FoREIGn naTIonalS Unemployment For further information on the various Pôle Emploi offices in Rennes, see page 42. Documents to be presented with your application After the preregistration procedure by telephone, you are required to attend an interview, the date and time of which are specified in the letter that you receive by post. You must take with you to the interview the unemployment benefit application form, completed, dated, and signed, as well as several other documents. Documents required for registration as unemployed: Researchers do not follow the standard procedure when entering France. Instead, they obtain a carte de séjour mention scientifique (a scientist’s residency permit). Although this type of carte de séjour authorises the holder to work in France, in accordance with the legislation in force, these scientists do not have open access to the labour market as they are only entitled to perform specific work that is carried out in those establishments which have been authorised to issue conventions d’accueil. o valid passport or national identity card So, even though they are considered as salariés (employees) as regards employment law, e.g. in respect of the payment of contributions, the right to social security, and the accumulation of points for a retirement pension, ‘scientists’ used not to be able to claim unemployment benefit, even if their carte de séjour was still valid for a few more months. o your social security card (carte vitale) The Code de Travail (Employment Law) has been modified very recently to allow foreign nationals who are holders of a carte de séjour mention ‘scientifique’ to benefit from unemployment benefit as long as their carte de séjour is still valid. If the period covered by the carte vitale has expired, the application is allowable but the applicant must provide an attestation from their Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie. n.B. These measures only apply in the case of researchers who come from countries which are not member states of the European Union. European Union nationals have free access to the French employment market, in accordance with various European regulations and directives concerning the free movement of salaried workers. Contrary to their colleagues who come from non-EU countries, citizens of the European Union member states can register as unemployed and therefore receive unemployment benefit in France. o registration documents concerning family births, marriages, and deaths o birth certificate o carte de séjour for those foreign workers who are citizens of non-European Union countries o one or more “attestation d’employeurs”, a yellow form which is completed by your former employer If the job seeker does not have this card they can provide an attestation issued by their local Caisse primaire d’assurance maladie as evidence of the fact that they belong to the state social security insurance scheme and thus that they have an individual identification number. o a relevé d’identité bancaire / postal (a code which transmits information regarding your personal bank details). To register as unemployed, the first thing to do is to contact a Pôle Emploi office, which is the government organisation responsible for the registration of job seekers and the payment of unemployment benefit. Contact them in order to carry out the pre-registration procedure by phoning 39 49. If your last registration as a job seeker was less than 6 months previously, you will be re-registered by the teleadvisor without having to go to a Pôle Emploi office. When you have been registered as a job seeker, an appointment will be made for you to see an employment advisor. Pôle emploi (Job Centre), a streamlined service: For information about finding a job and benefits, call 3949 or visit: 43

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES

Introduction to Rennes
A - The city of Rennes
B - The Université Européenne de Bretagne
Entry and residency formalities
A - Obtaining a visa
B - Obtaining a carte de séjour (residency permit)
Health insurance and health care
A - Social security and health insurance
B - Access to health care
A - Finding somewhere to live
B - Practical information
C - Before arrival
D - Deposit and co-signing
Banks and money
A - Opening an account
B - The cost of living in Rennes
C - Income tax
D - Retirement pensions
Coming with your family
A - Administrative procedures
B - Educational system
C - Schools
D - Childcare facilities for young children
E - Organising work for your spouse
F - Family allowances/benefits
G - Unemployment and the Rights of Foreigners
Daily life
A - Eating
B - Getting around
C - Learning French
D - Communicating
Free time : culture, leisure and sporting activities
A - Where to get information
B - Cultural events and festivals in Rennes
C - Leisure activities
D - Sporting activities
Useful contacts

The International RESEARCHER and PhD STUDENT’s Guide to RENNES