Signs of the Times - April 2014 - (Page 102)
2 nd Annual Readers' Choice Award:
ollowing the rousing success of last year's Readers'
Choice Awards debut, ST welcomed the opportunity
to again offer users a chance to vote. From two firstround surveys, voters chose the top three vote-getters
from the opening round and advanced them to the
final round, from which voters chose the winner.
We're hopeful we've developed an effective formula;
we received 7,744 total votes, a more than 10% increase
from last year's final tally of 6,950. Each voter could
only vote once per electronic device, but, in this era,
almost everyone has several devices with which to
choose their favorites.
The voting was extremely close in the opening
rounds: the top three Electric Sign candidates won 46,
45 and 44% of the vote. However, in the final round,
a clear winner emerged: Thomas Sign & Awning Co.
Inc.'s blade sign for a US AmeriBank installation
in Ybor City, FL, arguably Tampa's most historic
neighborhood, won by a comfortable margin with
36.6% of the vote.
The flag-wielding patriot is known as Lady Columbia,
in honor of Columbia Bank, the financial institution
that originally opened on the property in 1950s. Thomas'
sign closely resembles the sign that Columbia originally
had installed when the financial institution opened,
and the customer wanted to replicate the original
bank's character through its sign.
In second place, with 26.1% of the vote, Gary
Johnson, proprietor of Basking Ridge, NJ, routed and
carved a whimsical shop sign that features a squirrel
piloting a plane. In third place, Xpressive Graphix's
(Zanesville, OH) sign for the Olde Falls Inn claimed
13.8% of the contest tallies.
Other finalists included:
* Claude Neon Federal Sign (Tulsa, OK), Reeder's
* Sonny Franks and Chris Shuster, Lilburn (GA) Mural
* A+ Signs (Old Forge, PA), Scranton-Wilkes Barre
baseball-stadium wall-wrap graphics
* House of Signs (Frisco, CO), Snowmass Huus Vode
* Blackout Signs (San Marcos, TX), Atomic Tattoo
* ArtFX Signs (Bloomfield, CT), Gateway Wines
* Pinnacle Sign Group (Springfield, MO), Miracle
* Security Signs (Portland) , Hollywood Theater
* Gardner Signs (Troy, MI), Freedom Hill Music
* Sign Effectz (Milwaukee), Divino Wine and Dine
* House of Signs, Stagecoach Inn
* Graphix Garage (Pickford, MI), Self Promotion
* Ferrari Color (Salt Lake City), Sun Valley Christmas
* House of Signs, Cabin Fever
* Eyecandy Signs (Halifax, NS, Canada), Stubborn
* Security Signs, Portland Rock Gym
* Creative Design Signs (Makawao, HI), Mokapu
Here's a sampling of some of the comments left by
voters on the SurveyMonkey.com voting page:
"[The mural is] by far the best design and technical
execution. I feel like I can walk down the steppingstone path into the tunnel."
"My choice, Lady [Columbia], is the most eyecatching and impressive."
102 SIGNS OF THE TIMES April 2014
Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of Signs of the Times - April 2014
Signs of the Times - April 2014
Columns & Departments
ISA Sign Expo 2014 – Making the most of it
Technology Review: Roland’s SOLJET Pro 4 XF-640 printer
Technology Review: EFI’s VUTEk GS2000/3250 digital-hybrid printers
Sign Museum News
The 2014 Intl. Sign Contest
2nd Annual Readers’ Choice Award
For the Record
ISA Expo Adds SEGD Component
Surprising Evidence about Neon’s History
Signs of the Times - April 2014