GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 8
A letter to my younger self
BY DICK PIROZZOLO
fter being on this earth for three-quarters
of a century, what would I tell my 40 or
50-year-old self or my 20-year-old self for
* You will never reach a point in life where you
stop making mistakes.
* Don't wait until you retire to learn a musical
instrument. Start now, while your spouse is out
of the house for a good part of the day and
doesn't have to listen to you practice.
* If you've dreamt of becoming a professional
photographer when you retire, don't expect
to get work, the photographers who have
been doing this all their lives are having a hard
* Staying in shape is better than getting in shape.
* If you have money to invest, buy the house next
door and keep it for 20 years.
* College is not trade school. If engineering, or
nursing aren't for you, major in art, music, theater or literature. It'll make life more interesting,
develop your communication skills, and you'll
be more valuable in an international economy
where culture counts for a lot.
JAN., FEB. & MAR. 2020
* "These kids of today" are smart, talented, hardworking, technically savvy and face an uncertain world that we created. Let's put an end to
"snowflake" and other pejoratives.
* Speak in front of an audience and on camera as
often as possible.
* Don't argue. No one remembers whether you
were right or wrong, they'll only remember you
* Anyone, absolutely anyone, can go off the rails
at any time. A gun will only make matters worse.
* Teaching someone responsibility is fine, teaching
someone a lesson is never acceptable.
* An English breakfast of eggs, bacon, beans
and blood sausage is healthier and more delicious than cereal, toast and juice, and has fewer
* Cooked kale tastes way better than raw kale.
* Go to at least one opera and one ballet, especially the Met and the Joffrey.
* Older people become incapacitated from falling.
Practice standing on one leg.
* If you want to learn mindfulness, get a dog.
Dick Pirozzolo, APR is founder & managing director Pirozzolo
Company Public Relations, Boston, MA. He specializes in
public relations, corporate communication, media relations
and crisis management. He coauthored the 2017 historical
novel, Escape from Saigon.
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020
Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 1
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 2
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 3
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - Contents
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 5
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 6
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 7
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 8
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 9
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 10
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 11
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 12
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 13
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 14
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 15
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 16
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 17
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 18
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 19
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 20
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 21
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 22
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 23
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 24
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 25
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 26
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 27
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 28
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 29
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 30
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 31
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 32
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 33
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 34
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 35
GRAND Magazine- Winter 2020 - 36