Texas Asphalt - Fall 2010 - (Page 25)
By Gary Corley
Moore Brothers Construction Co.
rounded off to accommodate a wheel passing over it. Second class roads were 30 feet wide and third class roads were 22 feet wide (the width of two present-day trafﬁc lanes). Prior to the formation of the Texas Highway Department, the state authorized each county to raise a county road tax for building and maintenance of the roads within the county. So even without an ofﬁcial highway department, the growing popularity of the automobile provided a good demand for new and improved roads. As the company continued to ﬂourish, another generation of Moore’s joined the company; Harmon’s sons Tom and Lloyd joined the company in 1937. John’s sons, Chester and Bill would not join the company until 1952. Chester would later leave the company in 1977 to form his own construction company. In June of 1938, the company incorporated as Moore Brothers Construction Co. Moore Brothers did not formally enter the asphalt business until 1958 with the formation of East Texas Asphalt. The company purchased a 2,000-pound Madsen batch plant and erected it in Lufkin. At that time, it was the only asphalt plant servicing the East Texas area.
t the close of the Civil War, J.S. Moore, a veteran of the war himself, started a mule teaming business in Louisiana. As there was an abundance of work, his business prospered, and he began to see other opportunities. In the early 1880’s there was a large expansion of the railroad system across the country and Mr. Moore began building railroads in Louisiana, Arkansas, and Texas. By then, Mr. Moore had brought his sons John and Harmon into the business, which they named J.S. Moore and Sons. The company grew and built hundreds of miles of railroad tracks in this three state area. At the turn of the twentieth century, with the advent of the automobile, another opportunity became apparent – building roads. In 1908, J. S. Moore and Sons began building roads in the same areas that they had been building railroads. Of course then, these were crude dirt roads barely wide enough to accommodate two vehicles passing. Many times, they were just widened welltravelled paths and trails connecting communities. Since the Texas Highway Department was not formed until 1917, much of this type of construction was done for the counties. However, early Texas law called for ﬁrst class roads to be e built between county seats. These roads were 40 feet in width. On these roads, stumps less than eight inches were cut off at the ground and larger stumps were
Texas Asphalt Magazine FALL 2010 25
Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of Texas Asphalt - Fall 2010
Texas Asphalt - Fall 2010
Executive Vice President’s Message
The Major’s Perspective
Associate Member Forum
Partners in Quality
Cover Feature: TxAPA Members Meet in Albuquerque
TxAPA’s 36th Annual Meeting Preview
Company Spotlight: TxAPA Pioneers: Moore Brothers Construction Co.
TxAPA’s History: Fundamentals and Innovation in Diffi cult Times
The Environmental Corner: Earning LEED Credits with Asphalt
Roadtec Breaks Ground for New Training Center
Calendar of Events
Texas Asphalt - Fall 2010