US Airways - July 2014 - (Page 10)

embark Making It Happen Behind the Scenes of Your Flight Flying Companions Ever wonder what else is riding along with you? American Airlines moves 800 million pounds of cargo a year. There's a good chance that it's not just people and luggage on your flight. American Airlines Cargo ships items around the world: perishable foods and flowers, consumer electronics, automotive and industrial parts, mail, apparel and some of the newest lifesaving vaccines. "All of the cargo we move ships underneath our passengers," explains Jim Butler, president of American Airlines Cargo. "About 80 percent ships internationally, and the other 20 percent is domestic business." In Miami, American's largest cargo center, the airline handles BIG NUMBERS about 700,000 pounds of freight Last year, American Airlines Cargo delivered: every day. Each cargo facility is equipped with specialty refrigeramillion pounds of perishable food tors and storage spaces that can be climate-controlled based on the million pounds shipment. For instance, blueberries of seafood from Chile are refrigerated, while million pounds tropical flowers from Colombia are of flowers kept in warm, humid temperatures. pounds The shipments depend on of iPhones in time for the location and seasonality. In middevice's release date February, Miami is a transport spot pieces of gold for grain seeds from Argentina to and ancient artifacts shipped the Midwest, ready for springtime from Colombia to the British Museum in London planting. In February (Valentine's ★ 196 90 18 200 10 JULY 2014 GIL E By Tara Titcombe Day) and May (Mother's Day) there's a huge increase of flower shipments. Shipments depend on aircraft type. "The total amount of cargo we can carry really depends on the aircraft," Butler says. "Our large wide-body aircraft are really our bread and butter, and with our new B777-300ER aircraft, we can now carry even more cargo than ever." A recent flight on the B777-300ER carried more than 100,000 pounds of perishable foods from Los Angeles to London. Other types of cargo are perhaps not what you'd expect. Items include live tropical fish, gold and precious stones, blood for transfusions, priceless pieces of art, and pets. Every month, American transports and cares for about 2,200 pets. It's this capacity - along with a global reach - that makes the airline the perfect way for customers to ship their common (or not-so-common) items. Butler explains, "We're proud to play an important part in the world's supply chain." ILLUSTRATION BY INFOMEN 100,000 FRA

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of US Airways - July 2014

Table of Contents
Perspective: CEO Letter
From the Editor
Making It Happen?
Hot Spots: Best Wellness Retreats
Great Escapes: Sea Pines Resort, South Carolina
Great Escapes: Barceló Hotels and Resorts
Wine & Dine: Edible Spirits
Style Spotlight: Patriotic Pride
Gear Up: Summer Play
Getaway: Sugar Mountain, North Carolina
Adventure: Surf School
Connections: Everybody's Business
Travel Feature: Athens, Greece
Florida Panhandle Shipwreck Trail
Chefs Tell
Down to Business
Special Section: Vibrant San Diego
To Your Health: Joint Revitalization
Special Section: North Carolina's High Country
Best of Health: Miami Foot & Ankle Surgery
Readers Resource Index
Your US Airways Guide
Audio Entertainment
Video Entertainment
U.S. and Caribbean Service Map
International Service Map
Airport Terminal Maps
oneworld alliance
Passenger Info/Contact US Airways
US Airways MarketPlace®
US Airways Fleet/Customs & Immigration
Window or Aisle?

US Airways - July 2014