Rural Missouri - September 2014 - (Page 3)

C O N T E N T S Features 8 Departments 4 5 Our community is the world 8 Missouri co-ops help electrify the world through NRECA International 14 Just kidding Rustic refined Skilled hands transform local timber into heirlooms at Niangua Furniture 22 24 Hearth and Home Home run recipes 30 Around Missouri Missouri happenings 14 34 Marketplace Classified ads 'Old Pap' Price returns 36 Neighbors Tricked-out kicks Maj. Gen. Sterling Price invades southeast Missouri 26 14 Outdoors Not your normal family float trip 18 Out of the Way Eats Mary Jane Burgers & Brew Deb Brayton chooses to raise cute kids that might faint at the sight of you 20 Columns Hart to heart Nothing flies like a hawk Young craftsman builds world-renowned made-to-order tomahawks 12 Comments National and statewide news 38 Just4Kids Fun stuff from Buddy A Riesling renaissance Westphalia Vineyards makes new wine from a lost vine 20 About our cover T he Missouri Capitol as we know it today is actually the third domed structure built to house legislators in Jefferson City. The first, built from 1823 to 1826, was destroyed by fire in 1837. The next building was destroyed in 1911 when lightning struck the dome. The present-day Capitol, as seen on the cover, was built from 1913 to 1917 and stands in the same spot as its predecessor, high atop the bluff overlooking the muddy Missouri River. The beautiful structure, made from limestone marble from Carthage, covers nearly three acres. The Capitol's dome is 260 feet above the ground and is home to the bronze figure, Ceres, the goddess of grain, symbolizing our state's great agricultural heritage. Inside the building are many magnificent adornments for visitors to view. A huge bronze chandelier, weighing 9,000 pounds, hangs from inside the dome. Artwork throughout the Cover and photo at left by Heather Berry building depicts scenes from Missouri's history, landscape and people. Famous murals by Thomas Hart Benton can be viewed in the House Lounge. And the Missouri State Museum on the ground floor is another free attraction for Capitol building guests of all ages. Viewing the Capitol from the pedestrian bridge on the eastern side of the Missouri River bridge is a great way to see the beauty of this historic building. Take notice of the dozens of padlocks hanging on the fence, etched with initials, dates and proclaiming undying love, such as the one at the left. The bridge connects the city with the Katy Trail State Park. Visit for more information and hours, or call the Missouri State Museum at 573-751-2854. Free guided tours of the Capitol are given seven days a week during normal working hours, except on Christmas, New Year's, Easter and Thanksgiving. To order prints of the cover, see page 35. SEPTEMBER 2014 3

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of Rural Missouri - September 2014


Rural Missouri - September 2014