Momentum - March 2019 - 5
A finite element
analysis of the final
design. This FEA shows
the deformation from
a static load of 100 lb
with a factor of safety
The Concept Design Report was due before the main on-track
competition in Arizona was to take place, so we got to work on that
right away. We poured many Saturdays into writing the report, but
it just seemed like we ran out of time. We were pressed to the wire
trying to get it done. We didn't have all of our design changes for the
car complete to go into the report, so some components had to be left
out initially. Working on it right up to the due date left little time for
iterations to our report.
For the Concept Design Presentation, we didn't want to make the
same mistake. We knew we would need a lot of time for presentation
practice and to get critiques from advisors and faculty. We set a date
and had our first draft done to start presentation practice a month
prior to the competition. Our presentation was constantly evolving. The
presentation team presented to different faculty on several occasions.
We never felt as though it was finished, and that allowed us to continue
to make changes up until the competition. This was a key component
that led to our success in this part of the competition.
Another key component was our focus on staying as close to the
engineering design process throughout the year as we could. We strived
to have a reason behind every design choice we made. This is a concept
that is not only stressed within our curriculum, but also was stressed by
our advisors. Staying close to the engineering design process provided
us with a strong foundation for the concept design presentation.
This was shown in the mounting for the Intel Crystal Rugged server.
For the mounting of the server, we started by defining our requirements.
Then, several people on our team designed different mounting
options. After that, we narrowed the choices down by using design
matrices. This ensured that our design met the requirements that we
set for the component. Next, we evaluated different material options.
Testing was performed with finite element analysis to ensure that the
different materials would support the weight necessary and hold up
when the car went over bumps or came to quick stops. Again, we used
design matrices to ensure that the material chosen stood up to the
requirements we had come up with.
Once the design and material were chosen, we fabricated the mount.
The mount was put into use, and soon unanticipated issues became
apparent. Iterations were made to the original design,
and a final mount was produced.
This component of our car is just one of the many for
which we used the engineering design process. Following
the process made it easy to integrate the component into
the presentation. We already had all of the components
we needed to explain our design. This method also made
answering questions easier because we had a reason
behind our design choices.
When it came to presenting at competition, all of the
presenters were well prepared to answer any questions
the judges had. The presentation went smoothly, and all
of the hard work prior to the event paid off. Being a part
of the presentation was very rewarding and encouraged
the team to want to excel in more of the AutoDrive
Challenge events in Year 2.
I was personally very proud of how well our team did
in Concept Design Presentation event, placing second.
Unfortunately, we didn't perform as well in the other
events. We left the competition feeling determined to
improve our performance in Year 2.
Once the 2018-2019 school year started in
September, we reflected on Year 1 and came up with a
plan to improve our performance. We first looked to the
Concept Design Presentation-this event was a good
template for how we were striving to organize our team
for Year 2. We not only learned from our failures from
Year 1, be we also were able to reflect on our successes
as well and apply them in all areas for Year 2. One
key aspect was trying to always keep time in mind-
understanding that setting goals with specific deadlines
was going to be necessary to stay on track.
Another main goal was not to spread ourselves too
thin. A big mistake we made during Year 1 was trying
to focus on all of the events/challenges at once. Of
course, completing all of the challenges is the end goal,
March 2019 5
Momentum - March 2019
Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of Momentum - March 2019
Momentum - March 2019
Making the connection
Engineering design process crucial for success
A new perspective on airplane design
Focus on testing fuels win
Midnight Mayhem: Racing in the dark
2020 Supra: Toyota’s Japanese spin on German engineering
SAE 101: March 15 is deadline for SAE scholarships
DOSSIER: Nicolas Parent of Lion Electric Co.
Advertise your interests
Take it from the experts
Momentum - March 2019 - Momentum - March 2019
Momentum - March 2019 - Cover2
Momentum - March 2019 - Contents
Momentum - March 2019 - Making the connection
Momentum - March 2019 - Briefs
Momentum - March 2019 - Engineering design process crucial for success
Momentum - March 2019 - 5
Momentum - March 2019 - 6
Momentum - March 2019 - A new perspective on airplane design
Momentum - March 2019 - 8
Momentum - March 2019 - 9
Momentum - March 2019 - Focus on testing fuels win
Momentum - March 2019 - 11
Momentum - March 2019 - 12
Momentum - March 2019 - Midnight Mayhem: Racing in the dark
Momentum - March 2019 - 2020 Supra: Toyota’s Japanese spin on German engineering
Momentum - March 2019 - Over-the-air affair
Momentum - March 2019 - SAE 101: March 15 is deadline for SAE scholarships
Momentum - March 2019 - 17
Momentum - March 2019 - DOSSIER: Nicolas Parent of Lion Electric Co.
Momentum - March 2019 - 19
Momentum - March 2019 - Take it from the experts
Momentum - March 2019 - Cover3
Momentum - March 2019 - Cover4