Pulse - August 2021 - 52
FROM THE SCVMA OFFICE PETER WEINSTEIN, DVM, MBA, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR PWEINSTEIN@SCVMA.ORG
am taking a mental month off to share with you some quotes, sayings, idioms, etc. Commonly used phrases
that have infiltrated our lives. And oh, by the way, they all have animals in them.
25 Animal Idioms:
1. Dropping like flies - dying or collapsing in large numbers /
giving up on or pulling out of an endeavor in large numbers.
Fly on the wall - an unnoticed witness.
Fly in the ointment - a small problem which nonetheless
spoils the whole plan.
4. Ants in your pants / antsy - agitated or restless due to nervousness
5. To make a beeline - to move swiftly and directly toward
something or someone.
Bee's knees - an excellent person or thing - of the highest
quality (see cat's pajamas).
Birds and the bees - a euphemism for sex education - the
basic facts about reproduction as told to a child.
8. A little bird(y) told me - told by a secret informan.
9. To kill two birds with one stone - to accomplish two objectives
10. Bird's-eye view - view from above.
11. As the crow flies - in a straight line.
12. Dead as a dodo - unmistakably dead.
13. Sitting duck - an easy target, vulnerable to attack.
14. To chicken out - to opt out of doing something because of
15. Wild goose chase - an absurd or pointless mission.
16. Pecking order - the social hierarchy.
17. Cock and bull story - a far-fetched and unlikely story.
18. To take the bull by its horns - to directly confront a problem.
19. " Holy cow! " - an exclamation of surprise or shock.
20. Until the cows come home - for a long, indefinite amount of time.
21. To horse around - to behave in a playful but silly and noisy manner.
22. Dark horse - a less well-known competitor or candidate who
succeeds to an unexpectedly high level.
23. " Hold your horses! " - an expression requesting someone to
wait a moment/hold on/slow down.
24. Straight from the horse's mouth - directly from the bestinformed
25. Donkey work - the boring/grueling part of a job.
25 Humorous Animal Quotes
1. " The household cat is really a tiger that has underwent three
counseling programs. " - Valeriu Butulescu.
2. " The fate of animals is of far greater importance to me than
the fear of appearing ridiculous. " - Emile Zola.
3. " The heart of animals is the foundation of their life, the sovereign
of everything within them, the sun of their microcosm,
that upon which all growth depends, from which all
power proceeds. " - William Harvey.
" Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend. " - Corey Ford.
" In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods. They have
not forgotten this. " - Terry Pratchett.
6. " Always remember, a cat looks down on man, a dog looks up
to man, but a pig will look man right in the eye and see his
equal. " - Sir Winston Churchill.
7. " Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never
washed a dog. " - Franklin P. Jones.
" If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits
in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. " Phil
9. " Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and
get back to you later. " - Mary Bly.
10. " Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions,
they pass no criticisms. " - George Eliot.
11. " God in his wisdom made the fly and then forgot to tell us
why. " - Ogden Nash.
12. " Size isn't everything. The whale is endangered, while the
ant continues to do just fine. " -Bill Vaughan.
13. " If you're a zebra being chased by a lion, maybe just stop in
front of a giant bar code? " - Guy Endore-Kaiser.
14. " We've all done this because we're so mature. You see a cow on
the side of the road, stick your head out the window and go,
" Mooooo! " Like we expect the cow to think, 'Hey, there's another
cow, driving that car! How can he afford that?' " - Garry Shandling.
15. " I admit opening an alligator petting zoo was not the best
idea but I told the kids to be careful so there's plenty of
blame to go around. " - John Lyon.
16. " I take my pet lion to church every Sunday. He has to
eat. " - Marty Pollio.
17. " My friend was attacked by a duck. I yelled " duck! " to warn
him, but it just made it worse. " - Kelkulus.
18. " A hen is just an egg's way of making another egg. " -
19. " The more excited the rooster gets, the higher his voice
goes. He's got a little bit of a Barney Fife quality to him. " -
20. " Noise proves nothing. Often a hen, who has merely laid an
egg, cackles as if she laid an asteroid. " - Mark Twain
21. " Our perfect companions never have fewer than four
feet. " - Colette.
22. " If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot
learn any other way. " - Mark Twain.
23. " Time spent with cats is never wasted. " - Sigmund Freud.
24. " Cats have a scam going - you buy the food, they eat the
food, they go away. That's the deal. " - Eddie Izzard.
25. " Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a
dog, it's too dark to read. " -Groucho Marx.
Keep on Smiling
Pulse - August 2021
Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of Pulse - August 2021
Chapter Meetings & Calendar
Everybody’s Hiring... or Trying To
UC Davis Update
Tools for Success
Digital Photography for Veterinarians
From the SCVMA Office
Pulse - August 2021 - August 2021
Pulse - August 2021 - Cover2
Pulse - August 2021 - 1
Pulse - August 2021 - 2
Pulse - August 2021 - Chapter Meetings & Calendar
Pulse - August 2021 - President’s Perspective
Pulse - August 2021 - Pulsepoints
Pulse - August 2021 - 6
Pulse - August 2021 - 7
Pulse - August 2021 - 8
Pulse - August 2021 - 9
Pulse - August 2021 - SCVMA Profile
Pulse - August 2021 - 11
Pulse - August 2021 - Everybody’s Hiring... or Trying To
Pulse - August 2021 - 13
Pulse - August 2021 - 14
Pulse - August 2021 - 15
Pulse - August 2021 - Practical Pathology
Pulse - August 2021 - Medical Leeway
Pulse - August 2021 - UC Davis Update
Pulse - August 2021 - Tools for Success
Pulse - August 2021 - Angel Fund
Pulse - August 2021 - Dear Tabby
Pulse - August 2021 - The RVT
Pulse - August 2021 - Industry Insights
Pulse - August 2021 - AVMA Diplomates
Pulse - August 2021 - Digital Photography for Veterinarians
Pulse - August 2021 - 26
Pulse - August 2021 - 27
Pulse - August 2021 - 28
Pulse - August 2021 - Resources
Pulse - August 2021 - Disease Table
Pulse - August 2021 - 31
Pulse - August 2021 - 32
Pulse - August 2021 - 33
Pulse - August 2021 - 34
Pulse - August 2021 - 35
Pulse - August 2021 - 36
Pulse - August 2021 - 37
Pulse - August 2021 - 38
Pulse - August 2021 - 39
Pulse - August 2021 - 40
Pulse - August 2021 - 41
Pulse - August 2021 - 42
Pulse - August 2021 - 43
Pulse - August 2021 - 44
Pulse - August 2021 - 45
Pulse - August 2021 - 46
Pulse - August 2021 - 47
Pulse - August 2021 - 48
Pulse - August 2021 - 49
Pulse - August 2021 - 50
Pulse - August 2021 - 51
Pulse - August 2021 - From the SCVMA Office
Pulse - August 2021 - Cover3
Pulse - August 2021 - Cover4