Building Management Hawaii - August/September 2012 - (Page 17)

Plumbing Claims A road map on how to handle water claims. By Sue Savio O ne of the most dreaded situations for a building manager is a water leak. And, unfortunately, the second most common type of homeowner’s claim is for water related damages, according to the Insurance Information Institute. The main culprits in 90 percent of condo water claims are water heaters, washing machines, toilets, rusty pipes and ice makers. The other 10 percent are people leaving faucets on, filling tubs and falling asleep … and my favorite one — an owner who didn’t know how to turn off the shower, just left it on and went to bed to have the manager get a call at 2 a.m. from a unit owner eight floors below saying his ceiling was leaking. How do you prevent appliances from leaking? Below are a few tips to help. Conduct a building wide plumbing inspection every seven to 10 years. Hire a licensed plumber and have him inspect your high-risk components. You will be amazed how claims dry up (no pun intended). Have the association get its common element pipes cleaned on an annual basis—maybe even semi-annually. Ask owners to let you know when they’re remodeling their kitchens and bathrooms. This is an excellent opportunity to inspect the pipes behind the wall. If they are full of pinholes get them replaced now before cabinets and counters are installed. Consider putting the pipes of the AOAO on a replacement schedule. Pipes have a lifespan just like appliances. They do not last forever. Water claims cause damage to the building, personal property and upgrades. It is a disruption to the lives of the owners and tenants. But, when you have a claim, what do you do? The first step, of course, is to call in the plumber to fix the pipe. The plumbing bill is not covered by insurance. If it’s an AOAO pipe, then the plumbing bill will be the responsibility of the AOAO. But, if the pipes serve just one unit, then the bill may be the responsibility of the unit owner. Call in recovery and restoration experts to completely extract the water out of the floors, walls and ceiling. This cost is covered by insurance, subject to the deductible on the policy. Do an incident report. Report the details of this claim to your account executive. File an insurance claim. Instruct all of the affected owners to contact their H0-6 (condominium insurance) carrier. Insurance agents have the necessary experience to properly address the myriad of complex issues facing associations and can help resolve pending issues pertaining to plumbing claims. Sue Savio is president of Insurance Associates and has been a general agent since 1975. The firm specializes in condominium association insurance and commercial insurance. CONCRETE RESTORATION Spall Repairs Crack Repairs Leak Repairs OVER 30 YEARS of professional G t et h M COL e A dvAntAGe CA Plumbing ColmaC Heat PumPs Built for Hawaii’s environment Recent COLMAC Installations • Hilton Hawaiian Village • Waikiki Banyan • The Plaza at Moanalua • Kukui Plaza • One Kalakaua • Kamehameha School • Hickam AFB • Oahu Surf • Harbor Ridge • And Many More! Waterproofing Painting Coatings WIL L IAMS HAWAII , INC. C O N C R E T E R E P A I R & C O A T I N G S Ph: (808) 455-5303 • Fax: (808) 455-5829 www.williamshawaii.com C-13039 2225 Hoonee Place • Honolulu, HI 96819 (808) 841-7400 • FAX (808) 841-7222 www.admorhvac.com www.buildingmanagementhawaii.com BMH August-September 2012 17 http://www.williamshawaii.com http://www.admorhvac.com http://www.buildingmanagementhawaii.com

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of Building Management Hawaii - August/September 2012

Cover August/September 2012
Contents
A New Way to Ride
Going up?
Let There Be Light
Be LED, But Not Astray
LED Illumination
Plumbing Claims
Corrosion Clean Out
Security FAQ’s
Security Checklist
Raising The Bar for Security Guards
On Site: Empowering Employees
Ask An Expert: Shifting Soil
Association Updates
Movers & Shakers
Industry News
Resource Guide: Plumbing & Wastewater Maintenance

Building Management Hawaii - August/September 2012

https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/0215
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/1214
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/1014
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/0814
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/0614
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/0414
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/0214
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/1213
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/1013
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/0813
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/0613
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/0413
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/0213
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/1212
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/1012
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/0812
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/0612
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/0412
https://www.nxtbook.com/trade/bmh/bmh0212
https://www.nxtbookmedia.com